Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Short version, Peloton App.

My set-up is the app, Apple Watch, Sunny Health spin bike, and a Wahoo cadence sensor.

I just completed my first Fitness+ cycling workout and it will be my last until Apple gets it into better shape, no pun intended. I am only speaking about cycling classes but they aren't even trying yet. In my 30 min class, I was left to set my own resistance and speed with guidance words like "moderate" and "a little faster". RPM was mentioned twice but of course there is no way to integrate this into the screen at this time.

This is in contrast to the Peloton app that uses cadence and resistance levels to help push you to a much harder workout. These data points also make the class a lot easier to follow. Peloton also has better detail on their classes so you can dial in the type, music, difficulty, length, etc.

I realize it is early days but something as simple as Apple integrating with bluetooth cadence sensors seems like a big miss for cycling. It's like trying to row a boat with no paddle. The other classes may be awesome but until they correct this, I will stick with Peloton. $3 difference in monthly price but massive gap in your spin experience.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Short version, Peloton App.

My set-up is the app, Apple Watch, Sunny Health spin bike, and a Wahoo cadence sensor.

I just completed my first Fitness+ cycling workout and it will be my last until Apple gets it into better shape, no pun intended. I am only speaking about cycling classes but they aren't even trying yet. In my 30 min class, I was left to set my own resistance and speed with guidance words like "moderate" and "a little faster". RPM was mentioned twice but of course there is no way to integrate this into the screen at this time.

This is in contrast to the Peloton app that uses cadence and resistance levels to help push you to a much harder workout. These data points also make the class a lot easier to follow. Peloton also has better detail on their classes so you can dial in the type, music, difficulty, length, etc.

I realize it is early days but something as simple as Apple integrating with bluetooth cadence sensors seems like a big miss for cycling. It's like trying to row a boat with no paddle. The other classes may be awesome but until they correct this, I will stick with Peloton. $3 difference in monthly price but massive gap in your spin experience.

dont disagree that the Peleton app remains better for a spin enthusiast for all the reasons you mentioned... that said a few thoughts...

1. fitness+ is ideal, and an ideal price, for those looking to do a lot of cross training... the idea I can do a treadmill workout one day, spin the next, yoga another, and HITT class on the road in my hotel room is appealing. All recorded in the fitness app through my watch.

2. I did a cycling workout with Tyrell and he constantly referenced cadence so it seems it’s a bit instructor dependent right now, I suppose this is something that might improve in time.

3. I have a cadence sensor on my Sunny bike (like you) and have a old bike computer displaying the cadence on the bars so I can view cadence there for now. Obviously the real answer is tying this to fitness+ and hopefully a solution is coming. I think a problem is most Bluetooth devices like AW I think can only connect to two devices at once and since your Apple Watch is always connected to your iPhone, the issue is when it’s for example also connected to my AppleTV 4K or iPad for the fitness+ display that is the second connection leaving a cadence sensor the odd man out. Not sure but hopefully they work something out.

3. I agree terms like “easy” “moderate” “hard” and “all out” leave something to the imagination but if you are using the Peleton app with a sunny bike how does it help you with the resistance better than that? I know their $2500 bike ties into the app but the sunny bike doesn’t? I’m curious thanks.

I’m sure it will get better but it’s good for someone like me who mainly outdoor runs but wants variety and I have a decent amount of space and equipment at home luckily.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I don't have a Peleton bike, but I just finished my first Fitness+ cycling workout and really enjoyed it. The iPad & Watch integration was seamless.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the instructor constantly talking about consumerism. In 20 minutes he talked about buying multiple gifts for his multiple sisters, getting mani pedis, all of us riding for that big expensive gift we want to get ourselves, buying a private island, etc. Stop telling me to buy stuff, I just wanna work out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.