Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
I have an Apple TV.
My Wife has an Apple Watch
I have an Apple Watch

We do NOT work out at the same time.

How does the Apple TV handle knowing who is working out?

Looking to understand this before trying.....

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
How does it even know there is more than 1 person? Do I need to log her in to the TV some how?
Family sharing

if she’s part of yours and she has an Apple Watch it will give u and option.

nothing to do with then user accounts on the apple tv

Wiggum

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Side note on this, anyone know how it decides when to use someone’s card photo? Wife has a Memoji and it still gives the M in a circle.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
How does it even know there is more than 1 person? Do I need to log her in to the TV some how?
I would recommend just going and try it, open the app and see for yourself ?

when you select the user, you also have to confirm on your watch.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Family sharing

if she’s part of yours and she has an Apple Watch it will give u and option.

nothing to do with then user accounts on the apple tv

its even better than this. You don’t need family sharing. Your Apple TV just detects any Apple watches in the room and asks who is going to do a workout then it just “works.” That INCLUDES if a friend comes over to your house and is wearing a watch or if you go to a hotel that has a Apple TV in the room. The Apple TV’s owner doesn’t even need to subscribe to Fitness+ as long as the Apple Watch owner does.

the AppleTV sharing with you and your wife is beyond easy and requires NO setup. as mentioned before the only downside is you can’t both workout at the same time.

meanmusic

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Montreal, Canada
My issue is when my wife connects to our Apple TV with her watch and try’s to start a workout it doesn’t see her as a family shared subscriber. It asks her to open the Fitness+ app on her phone to subscribe. She has full access in her iPhone but has never been able to make it work directly on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.