Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have a Mac Pro 4,1, flashed to 5,1 (at home and work) and am currently running OS 10.8.5, which I will be upgrading to El Capitan. I understand that the old wifi and bluetooth versions which these machines came with will not support the upgraded functionality found in later versions of the OS, so will also be upgrading my Macs. Will third party USB dongles for Bluetooth 4 and AC 450 Wi-Fi work or will Mac OS be looking for required hardware identifiers for Apple factory hardware components and fail to recognize them? My understanding of this potential issue is limited to a vague awareness but I think third party components could require such identification written in customized kext files which would spoof the OS into thinking they were Apple components. Regarding dongles for latest wireless versions, if they work well in OS 10.8.5 does that imply that they will work well in later OS versions and make available the updated wireless features?

USB 2 dongles I have purchased are:

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)

and

Edimax AC450 Wi-Fi USB 802.11ac Nano-size Wireless Adapter*Full 5GHz up to 433Mbps!*.

I have not installed the Wi-Fi dongle yet but it does come with drivers. The IOGEAR Bluetooth 4 dongle just works great on my Mac Pro (it comes with Windows drivers), pairing with Apple wireless input devices immediately and fixing the choppiness I was experiencing with failing Apple card. I will report on the EDIMAX Wi-Fi card when I have time to set it up.

Any help in clearing this matter up would be great!

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I guess the stock Apple BT is not failing. It's the antenna's problem. There are few way to fix it, but anyway, you already have the USB dongle, so no need to study that.

Yes, you can use those new functions, Apple card is not a requirement (but it will make your life much easier).

If the Wi-Fi USB dongle work as well, you can use some software to activate the new functions. (Disable SIP may be required)

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I guess the stock Apple BT is not failing. It's the antenna's problem. There are few way to fix it, but anyway, you already have the USB dongle, so no need to study that.

Yes, you can use those new functions, Apple card is not a requirement (but it will make your life much easier).

If the Wi-Fi USB dongle work as well, you can use some software to activate the new functions. (Disable SIP may be required)

Thanks for reply. Is there a particular software that will do this? I have seen some posts which edit or add to system files so the non-apple devices will be recognized. If there is an app it would be great.

BTW, could there be negative consequences to disabling SIP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.