Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scienncemann

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
works? but dosent?

i did it and it completely fixed my issues i come back a week later to my computer after being afk for a week and now it dosen't work?
im going to try it again and im confident it should work again seeing how nothings changed but dose anyone know why it undid itself?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
i did it and it completely fixed my issues i come back a week later to my computer after being afk for a week and now it dosen't work?
im going to try it again and im confident it should work again seeing how nothings changed but dose anyone know why it undid itself?

Yup. Pretty much. Steam released a patch that fixed it, and then within the span of a week, released another patch that broke it.

First world problems, eh?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Yup. Pretty much. Steam released a patch that fixed it, and then within the span of a week, released another patch that broke it.

First world problems, eh?

Thought I was going crazy until I came back to this thread. The solution from the OP worked up until a few weeks ago. I've already started buying things over at GOG instead of Steam because of how crappy the Mac client is.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Thought I was going crazy until I came back to this thread. The solution from the OP worked up until a few weeks ago. I've already started buying things over at GOG instead of Steam because of how crappy the Mac client is.

IO enabled the beta enrollment option in the Steam app account settings. That works for me. No more prompts to change my universal access settings.

However, in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I can't join or create any multiplayer games.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Still useful. Thanks for the tip because it is frequently broken here yet still.

TheNumberTwo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
I have an issue where my mac won't allow steam to run during dota. So I go to system preferences where I try to click the box for steam to be allowed and as soon as I unlock the system preferences window it quickly locks it again, making it so I cannot click steam. Easy fix?

MrMikyBumz

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Code:
sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/Tcc.db 'delete from access where client like "%Steam%"'

Code doesn't work. Running lion. First of all definitely dont have a universal access panel. I need to put steam into >security and privacy>privacy and insert steam in that tab. Thats how i did iy on my macbook 10.10.2.

OrganizedMedic

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
The latest Steam update, which drops support for OS X 10.5 among other things, introduced a bug that causes the program to ask for you to enable universal access for the in-game overlay even if it already was prior to the latest client release.

Here's a fix for that glitch:

1) Make sure Steam is not running and uncheck it from the accessibility preference pane.
2) Close system preferences.
3) Open Terminal and copy/paste the following exactly as you see it, including all quotes:

Code:
sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/Tcc.db 'delete from access where client like "%Steam%"'

4) Re-open the accessibility preference pane and make sure that Steam is not listed.
5) Close system preferences, launch Steam, and try to play a game. The warning dialog box about the Steam overlay will pop up again. Use it to go back into system preferences and Steam should have re-appeared. Check the box if it's not already, close system preferences, and you should be good to go.
I turned on Universal Access for Stream but it says it still does not work for the mic setup? what do I do?

smilinggoat

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2004
Resurrecting this old thread, the solution no longer works on macOS Sierra 10.12 and the Steam version current as of January 2017.

Carsmaster

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
The latest Steam update, which drops support for OS X 10.5 among other things, introduced a bug that causes the program to ask for you to enable universal access for the in-game overlay even if it already was prior to the latest client release.

1) Make sure Steam is not running and uncheck it from the accessibility preference pane.
3) Open Terminal and copy/paste the following exactly as you see it, including all quotes:

Code:

4) Re-open the accessibility preference pane and make sure that Steam is not listed.
5) Close system preferences, launch Steam, and try to play a game. The warning dialog box about the Steam overlay will pop up again. Use it to go back into system preferences and Steam should have re-appeared. Check the box if it's not already, close system preferences, and you should be good to go.[/QUOTE
I click the terminal and paste it and it said "password" and i don't know what to write

xpingfighter

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2017

The command you just ran in the Terminal requires admin privileges. You're supposed to type in the password that you use to login to your Mac.

But, it doesn't work for me. I get an error that says

"Error: attempt to write a readonly database"

Apparently, things have changed between El Capitan and Sierra.

flocker10

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2017
I dont know if Im ding the terminal thng right? whenever I copy and paster the thing into terminal it says 3 things about like power and stuff and local system administrator lecture thing idk what that is. afterword it says password but in terminal and I dont know if that is computer password or what but I dont know what to type in plz help

ayer

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2017
Everything worked as it should, the code worked fine, steam did disappeared from system preferences. Only problem is that even though everything went as you said it should, steam still didn't detect that it was enable :( It changed nothing.

Man I just wanna buy some keys

zachatt5

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017

Code:

5) Close system preferences, launch Steam, and try to play a game. The warning dialog box about the Steam overlay will pop up again. Use it to go back into system preferences and Steam should have re-appeared. Check the box if it's not already, close system preferences, and you should be good to go.

I dont know how to access terminal.

Skytherex

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2017
it doesnt fork for me when i do the terminal thing it wants me to type a password but it doesnt allow me to type it please help me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.