Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple friends. Time Machine won't back up coz' it doesn't have enough space but it should be deleted the old snapshots to make space but it's not, it seem? What could be the fix?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
How much data is being backed up? Is your Time Machine volume smaller than what is backed up?

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I tried this but the 'not enough space is still there eventually, it's time to save up for a 2TB SSD:

I choose (I had to format it again to try this non-default Time Machine setting), when you set up a drive for SSD (I chose not to encrypt the backup since nothing's that top secret), set it first to custom not 'None' when it comes to the disk usage setting but keep the limit at the drives maximum (that circle things wherein you can adjust the space Time Machine uses).

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A Fishrrman "there he goes again like a broken record" reply:

The "fix" for time machine is to STOP USING IT, and to start using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper instead.

A cloned backup won't keep "growing" with the same files copied over and over and over and over and over and over and over and (had enough yet?) over again...

Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.