Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meldour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
My brother had a problem with Visual Voicemail for a while. Everytime he clicked that button, it would just dial a Voicemail server instead of bringing up the GUI for visual voicemail.

The reason it doesn't work is that AT&T's system doesn't recognize that you have the proper iPhone data plan selected.

Basically, if they remove your data plan, and put it back, it will start working. However AT&T reps are dumb and stubborn so they will not want to do this and instead try to blame Apple and transfer the call to them. (I was shocked to find out that Apple reps are even dumber, because their answer to everything is to do a Master reset, which doesn't fix the voicemail issue).

So, to get the AT&T reps to do this, you gotta say "I wanna upgrade (or downgrade) my iPhone Data plan to get more Text Messages" This will make them take off your existing one, and add a new one. That will get your Visual Voicemail feature to work (you will need to restart your iphone also). You can then call them back and return your data feature back to the one you had before, and all should be fine.

- Arsen

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I had the same problem after I ported my number over. To fix it, I just had one of my friends leave me a voicemail and then the visual voicemail worked again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.