Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I just JBed my ATV and XBMC was working great then started to crash all the time...pretty sure it was because the ATV kept flagging me to update to 4.3 Since I really don't care about 4.3 yet (and dont want to lose the JB) I just blocked the update servers...just tried this and it seems to be working OK now.

- install openssh
- ssh in (or use Cyberduck or other sftp app)
- grab the /etc/hosts file
- add the following lines to the end:
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net

-reboot ATV

Haven't been prompted for updates or had XBMC crash yet, ATV also says no updates are available.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Would removing those lines after a 4.3 JB comes out return the Apple TV to it's normal state?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
There's a much easier way to do this guys, please open your eyes. In Nito TV under software - the very FIRST item you can install will turn off the update nag... Once I installed that, my XBMC worked just fine - although I do have to say I feel like an idiot, I spent like 2 hours troubleshooting XBMC, and even reinstalled the whole thing and wiped out my library just to try and fix it.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
There's a much easier way to do this guys, please open your eyes. In Nito TV under software - the very FIRST item you can install will turn off the update nag... Once I installed that, my XBMC worked just fine - although I do have to say I feel like an idiot, I spent like 2 hours troubleshooting XBMC, and even reinstalled the whole thing and wiped out my library just to try and fix it.

I did selected that Nito TV option, but the crashes kept coming in XBMC, and the Update Available dialogs were still appearing.

cagex

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
I just JBed my ATV and XBMC was working great then started to crash all the time...pretty sure it was because the ATV kept flagging me to update to 4.3 Since I really don't care about 4.3 yet (and dont want to lose the JB) I just blocked the update servers...just tried this and it seems to be working OK now.

- install openssh
- ssh in (or use Cyberduck or other sftp app)
- grab the /etc/hosts file
- add the following lines to the end:
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net

-reboot ATV

Haven't been prompted for updates or had XBMC crash yet, ATV also says no updates are available.

I tried SSH and i also tried UpdateBeGone from nitoTV, both still didn't work it still crashing XBMC on Apple TV 2 iOS 4.3.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.