Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyboulders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hey all,

Longtime lurker wanted to thank you all and share with you what made Handoff work for me. I decided to write a new thread because there's a lot of Q's here dispersed in tons of threads, and wanted to share my info so you guys don't waste your time trying everything like I did.

First of all, if you have a 2011 MBA and you want handoff, follow this post. Mad respects to DoktorDok.

Uncle Schnitty is also walking people through this, patiently, daps to him.

If you are uncomfortable editing Hex files and Kexts, or stayed away from building a mackintosh because it's too technical, then you are better off going to Apple and buying a newer laptop. It's not hard, but you better know what you're doing. Just saying.

1. Make sure you have a backup of the or files!
  2. Input everything manually! No copy and paste!
  3. Use Kext Drop!
  4. Disable Handoff AND iCloud/iMessage on ALL your iOS & OSX devices.
  5. Restart. Reenable Handoff & iClous, etc on all devices, starting with your MBA.
---
At this point, I had Handoff working, ONE WAY, Mac to iPhone 6.

The fix? Easy (for you at least. It took me many hours for something so simple!)

1) Disk Utility -> Verify Disk Permissions -> Repair Disk Permissions (Yes, you have to do both.)

2) Terminal
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches

3) Restart all your devices. Voila! Handoff should be working flawlessly. :D

Cheers all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.