Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So I've managed to install Windows 8 on my new rMBP, using bootcamp.
But when you get to the first screen where you are suppose too customize Windows 8, I have no mouse or keyboard working.
So i can't do anything...
I have tried connecting a external mouse, and a external keyboard. But none of them works either.
They both work fine during the installation process, but after it restarts and you get to the customize screen to setup the computer it stops working.

It seems many have this issue but I can't find any solutions to it.

I would LOVE some help with this, I've tried reinstalling Windows 4 times now, with external CD and USB.

*Edit*

Seems like many are having this issue.
If you are, this is how you resolve it.

USE A USB 2 DRIVE!
And then follow these stepps:

1) Fix a Windows 8 or Windows 7 .iso, this procedure fixes the mouse issues both have.

2) start bootcamp and when it asks you what you want to do, check the first two options (create windows 7/8 install disk and download support media)

let it work...once it is done then quit bootcamp COMPLETELY.

3) start bootcamp again and this time select install support media to the same usb drive

let it work and then quit bootcamp COMPLETELY.

4) start bootcamp and this time select install windows 7/8. bootcamp will automatically restart your computer into windows setup. From there continue on like normal.

you have to let bootcamp restart your computer (you can't close bootcamp and then restart from the menu yourself...you must let bootcamp do the restart)

your usb drive shouldn't come out of your computer during any of these steps.

Last edited:

warplane95

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2013
How you can log in safe mode? Windows 8 can only launch safe mode in desktop. Windows remove the possebility to boot in safe mode with windows 8

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I had the same issue twice (had to install twice).
First time I fixed by multiple reboots. Shut off. Boot into Mavericks. Shut off. Boot again into the Windows partition. It worked now.

Second time I had it again. This time I attached a usb keyboard. Shut off. Bootet into the same windows partition again and it worked. (Both Keyboards).

I don't know the whole EFI boot Windows 8 installing on the new MBPs is quite buggy. Just try and try again. I had to do multiple steps two or three times until they worked. Even if I did the exact same thing the second time around, issues disappeared.

What happens is that somehow Windows fails to initialize any drivers (mouse and keyboards don't work either if plugged in). I assume because it cannot see the devices for some reason nor an USB port or anything really. Windows does try again though and the problem doesn't persist. I looks like the EFI needs a few tries to boot right. Once installed it seems to work quite well.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I had the same issue twice (had to install twice).
First time I fixed by multiple reboots. Shut off. Boot into Mavericks. Shut off. Boot again into the Windows partition. It worked now.

Second time I had it again. This time I attached a usb keyboard. Shut off. Bootet into the same windows partition again and it worked. (Both Keyboards).

I don't know the whole EFI boot Windows 8 installing on the new MBPs is quite buggy. Just try and try again. I had to do multiple steps two or three times until they worked. Even if I did the exact same thing the second time around, issues disappeared.

What happens is that somehow Windows fails to initialize any drivers (mouse and keyboards don't work either if plugged in). I assume because it cannot see the devices for some reason nor an USB port or anything really. Windows does try again though and the problem doesn't persist. I looks like the EFI needs a few tries to boot right. Once installed it seems to work quite well.

I've tried booting in to windows/mavericks like 50 times, still don't work.
Going to try do a new install again, and try the steps presented here for the windows 7 installation, perhaps im lucky and that helps some how.

Also on the Air and iMAC apparently you can get this issue if you use a USB3 drive (and i am), so ill go buy a cheap USB2 drive and see if that helps.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4589

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I used a cheap USB 2.0 flash stick. I doubt it has anything to do with that.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I used a cheap USB 2.0 flash stick. I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Well i followed the steps i posted, and used a USB 2 drive. And it worked :)

So some of those 2 helped for sure. I had tried re installing at least 10 times before. And now it worked immediately.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
This might've solved the problem for the OP, but certainly not for me and others.
Seems to me like windows is jinxd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.