Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I hate to be that guy but can anyone test some apps/games that have sounds that respond to touch.. like Sudoku or Sky Guide (I know.. not a game).

Set volume to about 60-70%

For example, in Sky Guide it may take ‘selecting’ 10-20 stars/planets/etc before the speaker popping starts. It seems to start faster in Sudoku and later in Sky Guide... but much worse in Sky Guide to the extent it ‘pops’ when you close the app. I think the Tech said it sounded like ‘clipping’.

My issue might actually be hardware and if so I need to get back to the Tech I am working with.

Reactions: Senfinger

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
So I went ahead and exchanged the phone. In-call crackling resolved by 11.0.2 but not app speaker crackle/clipping. New phone has same app speaker issue on 11.0.1. Updating to 11.0.2 now.

Mari8602

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I hate to be that guy but can anyone test some apps/games that have sounds that respond to touch.. like Sudoku or Sky Guide (I know.. not a game).

Set volume to about 60-70%

For example, in Sky Guide it may take ‘selecting’ 10-20 stars/planets/etc before the speaker popping starts. It seems to start faster in Sudoku and later in Sky Guide... but much worse in Sky Guide to the extent it ‘pops’ when you close the app. I think the Tech said it sounded like ‘clipping’.

My issue might actually be hardware and if so I need to get back to the Tech I am working with.

Yes! I noticed this on my 8+ as well. It fixed the calls but I notice it in the Sky Guide app.

Reactions: PBz

nuvvanda

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
The screen pulse is still there. Set it to lowest (or at least 50%), lock the screen and unlock under bright light condition.

Maybe it's an app causing the pulse. Just restart the phone and it is gone. After some time using the phone it shows up again.

Last edited:

Mari8602

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Yes! I noticed this on my 8+ as well. It fixed the calls but I notice it in the Sky Guide app.

earlier, sky guide gave me crackling but I downloaded star walk 2 and i didn't have any problems for anyone thats having the crackling in only some apps...maybe it has to do with that specific app and it not being updated to the new iOS?? just my guess..

Gmbb55

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
So I exchanged my phone for a new iPhone 8plus.
Issues fixed with update 11.2 and replacement phone:
Don't experience any crackling anymore on phone calls or when ear piece pressed
Don't have any issues with brightness
No muffling while talking
No strange things happening when phone has no service

Issues I'm still experiencing:
My portrait lock is on and the phone moves sometimes (happened once on replacement phone)

So maybe another update will be the fix for me. I was actually considering returning this phone altogether but nah I'm gonna keep it. I hope I don't encounter anymore issues.

unAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Yes. 11.0 as well.
You have to turn on auto brightness and set the brightness level less than half way. In the store they have auto brightness disabled and brightness set to ful.
You are absolutely right, I have just returned from Apple Store. I played with 2 iPhone 8, 2 iPhone 8 plus and 1 iPhone 7. All iPhone 8s behave the same way (pulse right after the screen turns on) despite being on 11.0.2 (I needed to turn the auto brightness on as they all have it off by default). I talked to Geniuses and they all saw this. They said we need to go and report the feedback (https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html), because it is a bug. They all thought it was a software issue though.

Last edited:

Alt075

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
Leaving iOS PB 11.1 to go back to 11.0.2 to test for in-call crackle and crackle/speaker pop in apps.
[doublepost=1507086481][/doublepost]..like I said to the Apple Tech.. this is a lot of work to get a $1,000 phone to work.
[doublepost=1507088990][/doublepost]Only made one call and in-call crackle wasn't there. My speaker pop is still there in apps in 11.0.2... should have stayed on 11.1.
so speaker pops in apps are taken care of in 11.1? Cause I do have that when I exit a app it makes a popping sound. Or if I end a show I'm watching it sometimes does that to. But no more popping while on calls. Which is my biggest complaint.

cl516

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Toronto
iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB silver. 11.0.2 got rid of voice call speaker crackle, but I can confirm I have the in-app speaker crackle. I use Audioshare to check audio I made, and only when I loop the file does the crackle pop show up. Inconsistent and in a not reproduciblen pattern. Hopefully 11.1 will fix this.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
so speaker pops in apps are taken care of in 11.1? Cause I do have that when I exit a app it makes a popping sound. Or if I end a show I'm watching it sometimes does that to. But no more popping while on calls. Which is my biggest complaint.
I had the in-app crackle in public beta 11.1. Personally recreated it for a local Lead Tech. Provided feedback case and phone diagnostics.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB AT&T - still have static issue (actually worse) on 11.0.2.
On a 40 minute call, using handset, speakerphone, and Bluetooth, it was the worst (most acute) towards the end of the call - cellular network, not AT&T WiFi - after switching from speaker > handset.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB AT&T - still have static issue (actually worse) on 11.0.2.
On a 40 minute call, using handset, speakerphone, and Bluetooth, it was the worst (most acute) towards the end of the call - cellular network, not AT&T WiFi - after switching from speaker > handset.
Could be your phone then.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Update:
So 11.0.2 resolved my in-call crackle but not the in-app speaker crackle/clipping.
Public Beta 11.1 v1 no in-call crackle but still in-app speaker crackle/clipping.
Public Beta 11.1 v2 (yesterday) no in-call crackle but still in-app speaker crackle/clipping.

I am hearing 11.0.3 is coming tomorrow. .. if so, this is nuts.. and validates that GM 11.0 wasn’t ready. Not that many of us need Apple to validate that.. GM 11.0 was absolutely not ready.

What is annoying is if 11.0.3 is out tomorrow I will want/need to test for the speaker in-app clipping/crackle.. which means downgrading from 11.1 PB to 11.0.3.

At this point I may keep exchanging my device at 10 days until it’s resolved. Once out of 14 risk is all on me.
[doublepost=1507659949][/doublepost]FWIW.. when I play the speaker clipping for people the consistent response is .. “no no no.. that sounds like $#&@“

unAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Update:
So 11.0.2 resolved my in-call crackle but not the in-app speaker crackle/clipping.
Public Beta 11.1 v1 no in-call crackle but still in-app speaker crackle/clipping.
Public Beta 11.1 v2 (yesterday) no in-call crackle but still in-app speaker crackle/clipping.

I am hearing 11.0.3 is coming tomorrow. .. if so, this is nuts.. and validates that GM 11.0 wasn’t ready. Not that many of us need Apple to validate that.. GM 11.0 was absolutely not ready.

What is annoying is if 11.0.3 is out tomorrow I will want/need to test for the speaker in-app clipping/crackle.. which means downgrading from 11.1 PB to 11.0.3.

At this point I may keep exchanging my device at 10 days until it’s resolved. Once out of 14 risk is all on me.
[doublepost=1507659949][/doublepost]FWIW.. when I play the speaker clipping for people the consistent response is .. “no no no.. that sounds like $#&@“

Is screen pulsing fixed in 11.1 v2?

unAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Being honest.. I have never really noticed this but if you want to give me some parameters to test I will.
1. Make sure your Auto-Brightness is on (it should be by default).
2. Lower your brightness to roughly 50% (you can test it with brightness set to roughly 25% as well)
3. Turn the screen off and wake it up under bright light condition
4. Observe the darker part of your lock wallpaper, roughly 3 seconds after it wakes up you should (or not) be able the screen decreasing brightness and the quickly back up (it's really subtle and reminds a pulse)

Thanks for testing this :)

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I’m on 11.02 and on AT&T. No issues here. Just got my phone yesterday though. Made a handful of calls and all is clear. Even tried speaker phone and my air pods. So far so good.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
1. Make sure your Auto-Brightness is on (it should be by default).
2. Lower your brightness to roughly 50% (you can test it with brightness set to roughly 25% as well)
3. Turn the screen off and wake it up under bright light condition
4. Observe the darker part of your lock wallpaper, roughly 3 seconds after it wakes up you should (or not) be able the screen decreasing brightness and the quickly back up (it's really subtle and reminds a pulse)

Thanks for testing this :)
I cannot get a ‘pulse’ to happen. 50% brightness. Using the black retro Apple wallpaper.. under big light at my desk and in a dark hallway.. looking at black area of screen as well as apps that are light and dark.. maybe it’s me but I cannot recreate it.

unAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
I cannot get a ‘pulse’ to happen. 50% brightness. Using the black retro Apple wallpaper.. under big light at my desk and in a dark hallway.. looking at black area of screen as well as apps that are light and dark.. maybe it’s me but I cannot recreate it.

Thanks for checking. They may have fixed it in 11.1 v2. I am attaching a video of how it looks on mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxqg4a52dv716bd/IMG_8822.mov?dl=0

Reactions: pat500000

unAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Was able to immediately recreate it with this wallpaper. It didn’t really go dark as much as it was a certain brightness level and then.....poof.. tad brighter.
Got it, thanks for confirming it. At this point I believe this is a software issue, which I hope they will fix sooner than later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.