Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Hi! So the option to change the behavior of the volume buttons on my iPad Air (5th Gen) is missing & it’s making me crazy when the iPad goes from portrait to landscape & the buttons keep changing.

Option is there on my iPad Pro, both running latest iPadOS.

Settings > Sounds > Fixed Position Volume Controls

Anyone else?

• Sad
Reactions: asv56kx3088

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You only have the option to enable the new behaviour on older iPads that didn’t originally have it.

There is no option to turn the new behaviour off on iPads that originally came with it.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
You only have the option to enable the new behaviour on older iPads that didn’t originally have it.

There is no option to turn the new behaviour off on iPads that originally came with it.
Interesting. so it seems this is the way they want to go moving forward & that’s that then.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Wondering if anyone has checked in the iPadOS 16 betas to see if this option has returned. I just can’t get used to the volume buttons being “reversed” from what I expect.

Been using an iPad in landscape for 12 years and the inconsistent behavior amongst iPad models is a hard adjustment for me.

GigaG

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Bumping because this is an incredibly annoying behavior especially compared to the physically identical iPad Air 4… It’s incredibly unintuitive when I’ve been using iPads for 10 years!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I recently got the iPad Air 5 and I‘ve been wondering about this! I thought they’d changed it for this model in hardware and that’s it, but it affects all iPads on iPadOS 15 and it’s reversible in all models but this one?
I’ve been using iPads for 10 years with the same behaviour, this is change for the sake of change, imo.
I wish it were reversible on this model, too.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
I also dislike this behaviour. I’m used to buttons staying what they are supposed to be, much like it’s been since the dawn of time! It’s completely counterintuitive to have UP and Down swap positions because muscle memory is so much stronger that you shouldn’t even need to think.

What’s more ridiculous is they give a simple software setting to turn it on or off on older iPad’s but not the newer ones. iPad Air 4 & 5 almost identical in hardware, one can do it and one can’t, madness!

I don’t even get why Apple even thought this was an issue that needed “fixing”.

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
Got my ipad pro 11” 4th gen last night. Thought for sure i was having a hardware issue until i did some searching. No idea why apple thought this had to be “fixed.” I did send apple feedback on it.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Well Apple has a history of fixing things that don't need fixing. Kind of like the autoboot when touching any keyboard key or opening the laptop lid. Apple decides for you how you use your device. Either get used to it or get an older device that doesn't have that "feature" added.

I agree it is annoying because I never seem to know what button turns volume up or down. Lol

Reactions: xpxp2002 and F27

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
It should be from iPadOS 16. The setting is still there on iPadOS 15.7 / M1 iPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.