Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzyzx

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I had the phantom song issue, was prepared to spend all day fixing it...

...woke up to find my phone syncing all of the songs overnight. Hopefully that is the end of it but who knows?

belle787

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Music Syncing Issues Fixed - Now Apps Issue

Hello,

This fix did fix all of my iTunes related issues. However, since implementing it, I have not been able to download apps from the App Store on my phone. If I click the price or the download button for those apps I've already purchased, the icon just spins, and it does not start downloading. It does work when I do it through it Tunes, though.

Any thoughts?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Hello,

This fix did fix all of my iTunes related issues. However, since implementing it, I have not been able to download apps from the App Store on my phone. If I click the price or the download button for those apps I've already purchased, the icon just spins, and it does not start downloading. It does work when I do it through it Tunes, though.

Any thoughts?

Reset All Settings fixed that issue for me in the betas. Beware of your iCloud documents, and back up first though :/

Last edited:

tpbholm

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Easy fix for syncing music to iphone 6.

I had the problem of iTunes 11.4 not syncing music to my iPhone 6. Apple gave me a simple straightforward solution:
1. Connect your iPhone 6 to iTunes.
2. Uncheck the sync music box and sync your phone.
3. Recheck the sync music box and sync again - your music will now be synced.
This worked for me without any problems.

toro1966

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
I am so frustrated with this syncing crap. Where is the fix Apple? This is a major problem. I have tried all of the fixes and while - yes - they eventually get the phone to sync with the music/movies, it won't sync consistently. I can add movies and music, resync, and it's garbage. Some songs/videos/movies will be gone. Some songs/videos/movies will show that they are there but then you click on them they don't work or they dissappear. Any thoughts? I am completely fed up and I have been an Apple customer for years - and have had every variant of the iphone....

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Just posted in an old thread in the iPhone troubleshooting forum before I noticed this thread, but damn it I'm also having syncing issues for the first time after upgrading to 8.02. Taking forever "copying" songs to my 5S that are already there.

danvdr

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
I had the problem of iTunes 11.4 not syncing music to my iPhone 6. Apple gave me a simple straightforward solution:
1. Connect your iPhone 6 to iTunes.
2. Uncheck the sync music box and sync your phone.
3. Recheck the sync music box and sync again - your music will now be synced.
This worked for me without any problems.

I've been struggling with this for several days and this solution seems to have worked. Thanks much for posting.

PunkRawkPurl

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Oakland, CA
even more app issues after fixing itunes sync issue

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Reset All Settings fixed that issue for me in the betas. Beware of your iCloud documents, and back up first though :/

Using Phone View, deleting the folders & files as suggested fixed my ghost songs & iTunes syncing issues.
Afterwards, I too, had the same issue with downloading apps on my phone. As suggested, I reset all settings on my 5s & it worked for about a day and a half (I was able to purchase & update apps). but alas, I am back to no longer being able to download apps, nor do I receive update alerts. I can do both via iTunes from my Mac.

What next? :)

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Using Phone View, deleting the folders & files as suggested fixed my ghost songs & iTunes syncing issues.
Afterwards, I too, had the same issue with downloading apps on my phone. As suggested, I reset all settings on my 5s & it worked for about a day and a half (I was able to purchase & update apps). but alas, I am back to no longer being able to download apps, nor do I receive update alerts. I can do both via iTunes from my Mac.

What next? :)

Very strange. Try deleting and re-entering your Apple ID under iTunes & App Store in settings.

PunkRawkPurl

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Oakland, CA
Very strange. Try deleting and re-entering your Apple ID under iTunes & App Store in settings.

My apologies, I should have mentioned before, I did try logging out and back in of iTunes on my phone, as well as just turning off and then back on the various slider/settings in iTunes settings. I have also done a restart of the phone.

And much thanks, btw, for all of your help!

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
I tried this and still got phantom or ghost songs after resyncing.

I followed a different set of instructions from an Apple discussion forum, where you remove all songs from the device.

1. In iTunes uncheck to sync music on the music tab. (Don't sync yet)
2. On iOS device: Through Settings -> Usage -> Storage Usage -> Music and delete all music.

Sync removing all music (from iTunes DB).

Re-check sync music in iTunes and sync the device nut all came back.

I filed a bug last week on this issue, likely a duplicate.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008

Having exactly the same problem as PunkRawlPurl - followed the initial instructions and was delighted that they worked - but lost the opportunity to buy and update apps from my phone. Reset All Settings today about 4pm and that did the trick in that I could update and buy again. But by 11pm I was back to previous state - when I click on App Store > Updates I just get the message "Updates. All apps are up to date" - but I know they're not as I have several to download in iTunes.

Have tried sign-out and sign-in... next step will be a full restore but I need to wait until I have the time to give the phone some hours to resent...

Running 8.1 beta 2 here - had hoped that beta 2 would fix things but didn't.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Having exactly the same problem as PunkRawlPurl - followed the initial instructions and was delighted that they worked - but lost the opportunity to buy and update apps from my phone. Reset All Settings today about 4pm and that did the trick in that I could update and buy again. But by 11pm I was back to previous state - when I click on App Store > Updates I just get the message "Updates. All apps are up to date" - but I know they're not as I have several to download in iTunes.

Have tried sign-out and sign-in... next step will be a full restore but I need to wait until I have the time to give the phone some hours to resent...

Running 8.1 beta 2 here - had hoped that beta 2 would fix things but didn't.

That's quite bizarre. I did have that issue once after one of the 8.0 beta updates. But the reset all settings solved it for me and it never returned. Are you both on 8.1 betas? Which devices?

Uncle Des

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Fixed!

After days of frustration and wading through many, many equally frustrated and unhelpful message boards (mostly Apple's own forums) I followed this and it worked. Subsequent syncs have also worked successfully.

AMAZING! Thank you so very much :)

For those of you who aren't finding success first time, I should add that by chance I had already used MP3 Scan+Repair after creating a completely new iTunes database that wouldn't import a small number of tracks. Obviously the best thing to do is to just let this app scan your media folders but a brand new iTunes database isn't a bad thing.

Because of the order in which I did it (new iTunes database, then MP3 repair, then the steps outlined at the start of this post) I don't know if the iTunes and MP3 repair steps were strictly necessary but I strongly suspect so. People are finding this problem with new iPhone 6's and one poster on another forum even said that Apple have admitted there's a syncing problem. My guess is there is some relatively new syncing logic in use (perhaps in IOS 8, perhaps in iTunes 11, or perhaps in how they interact) that is immature and can't cope with dodgy files. That's a guess of course but the scanning app is really easy to use (and free - you can donate to buy him a drink for his troubles but it's not obligatory) so if the main solution hasn't worked, what have you got to lose?!

UPDATE: Since this fix worked, I've had to go through the same process more than twice as it keeps coming back. It's a nightmare and makes the phone a complete waste of money for me - I only bought it for the large memory size so I could give up my iPod Classic, which I am now still using as I cannot keep music on my iPhone 6 updated for more than a couple of days at a time before the whole things hangs during sync.

I'm not going to keep doing this. How in the hell do we get Apple to notice this? Even all the websites out there that continually refer to all the iOS8 bugs never mention this one, yet there are plenty of people reaching this forum with the issue. Totally disgusted that after being in this game for so many years they have managed to totally degrade such a key part of the device functionality to this point that it just makes them a waste of money. I cannot believe there are people out there with large libraries having no problems. What makes our phones different to anyone else's?

Last edited:

PunkRawkPurl

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Oakland, CA
update on app purchase/update issue

That's quite bizarre. I did have that issue once after one of the 8.0 beta updates. But the reset all settings solved it for me and it never returned. Are you both on 8.1 betas? Which devices?

I'm on an iPhone 6, running iOS 8.1 beta 2.

Desperately trying to avoid dealing with a restore.... I went ahead and reset 'all settings' for a 2nd time. It's been a full days since the 2nd reset, and this time it seems to be sticking. That is, everything is working as expected. I can purchase & update apps from my phone. To answer Erik's question tho, I am on a 5s and running 8.0.2.
Thank you again to all who contribute & make these forums such a valuable resource.

UPDATE:: everything was running smooth again until I restarted phone. Once again, I can not download or update apps. The apps icon has a red badge with the number of apps requesting an update, but when opened, says "All apps are up to date".

Any ideas as to how I can remedy this issue?

Last edited:

livebackwards

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2012
Have you tried all of the above already? Too scared to nuke your phone and start afresh? Grab a copy of iExplorer or PhoneView (the demo version will do) and follow these instructions:

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS BACKED UP TO BOTH YOUR LOCAL MACHINE AND ICLOUD.

Connect your iPhone to mac, open PhoneView, go to Settings>Show entire disk. Here I would recommend you back up all the contents of your phone. Or if using iExplore, open the media section.

Deleted the following folders:
  • Purchases
  • Downloads
  • iTunes Control>Sync>Media,
  • iTunes Control>Music

Deleted the following files from iTunes Control>iTunes:
  • MediaLibrary.sqlitedb
  • MediaLibrary.sqlitedb-shm
  • MediaLibrary.sqlitedb-wal

You may get away with only deleting purchases, but just to be safe nuke them all.

Restart your phone by holding home and start buttons for five seconds.

Resync with iTunes (make sure you reset all the options for only syncing what you want, deleting these files makes iTunes think you want to sync everything).

This should (most likely) cure your ghost song troubles once and for all.

This worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for posting it

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
UPDATE:: everything was running smooth again until I restarted phone. Once again, I can not download or update apps. The apps icon has a red badge with the number of apps requesting an update, but when opened, says "All apps are up to date".

Any ideas as to how I can remedy this issue?

Exactly the same here... did a Reset All Settings, worked fine, phone off and on, back to where it was before - cannot download or update apps, no history of updates in the updates tab.

kindwaryr

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
ErikGrim's solution worked for me. I had the phone in the box and ready to send back to Apple when I finally found this thread. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Uncle Des

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
The app download issue

Hey

Although I've sadly had frustrating repeats of this issue, the fact is that the basic advice here is sound in terms of fixing it and for that I certainly remain extremely grateful!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better fix for the app download issue - where after doing this, it's no longer possible to download or update apps directly on the device - than resetting the settings on the phone. It's ok doing it once, but having to re-do your phone's wallpaper for the umpteenth time gets a little tired!

From my experience of following the steps involved with fixing this, I suspect the issue is caused by the removal of the SQLite files...

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
THANK YOU!! This..has been very troublesome for me re-syncing the same albums/songs over and over again which still didn't fix this ghost songs problem I've had for a quite some time now

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I appreciate you putting this together. Just went through the steps and it still doesn't work. In fact, it only made matters worse. All my music was in tact, but my tones disappeared while trying to do a last minute sync for movies before leaving for vacation. Now all my music is "corrupted", my tones are the same, and the movies never did sync. I wish Apple would fix this. I keep local backups and really don't rely on iCloud as my data plan isn't all that good. I don't have to sync a lot, but when I do it is typically easy. Just to add a data point, it seems to back up ok, then it either skips step 2 or 3, that seems to change and blows right through 4 and 5. Don't know if that helps at all.

EDIT: Wanted to point out, I think I may have fixed my issue. I am using my C2D Mini as an itunes server and there was apparently a silent fix for my issue, it seems to be slightly different from what is described here. Here is the link that helped me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1809493/

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Hey

Although I've sadly had frustrating repeats of this issue, the fact is that the basic advice here is sound in terms of fixing it and for that I certainly remain extremely grateful!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better fix for the app download issue - where after doing this, it's no longer possible to download or update apps directly on the device - than resetting the settings on the phone. It's ok doing it once, but having to re-do your phone's wallpaper for the umpteenth time gets a little tired!

From my experience of following the steps involved with fixing this, I suspect the issue is caused by the removal of the SQLite files...
I encountered this issue with my iPad today as well. Remember that you can try this step FIRST:
You may get away with only deleting Purchases, but just to be safe nuke them all.
which may be enough to fix the syncing issue, and not cause any issues with with the app downloads.

I'll give this a go next time.

Hamburi

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Hamburg
Same here: never enough space for sync

.... very significant syncing issues. Since installing IOS8 on my 4s, I:
Can't with any regularity sync my information.
Sometimes from sync to sync, the "others" column will grow immensely.

After installing iOS8.1 I rebooted my devices and bought a new one. The first sync was OK on 2 out of 3 devices but after that no sync was possible, because the "OTHERS" and MUSIC colums are HUGE.

Any solutions ??

I'd hate to reboot the devices for just one movie each time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.