Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Calling myself definitely works as-is. I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to place a real call. Stupid question: how long did you let it ring for? Facetime has a tendency to be slow to connect sometimes.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Turns out Apple is clear cut itself: public, official and searchable, no fig leaves and in one place. Read the article below where they lay out what ports and servers their services are channelled through: they list some domains the existence of which we already figured out empirically, however, there're some very interesting bits aside of that and worth experimenting on.

About macOS, iOS, and iTunes server host connections and iTunes background processes

How I stumbled upon it: in Lion, many thumbnails of apps in MAS turned into empty placeholders with a question mark in the centre, and so did preview images. I found that the culprit is mzstatic.com which is responsible for displaying images of applications, and which showed itself as a tough sunovabeech. Pinging it with Network Utility revealed 100% packet loss, so there you have it - the dead-end on this front. Which is a small frustration, since there's virtually nothing worthy on MAS for 10.7 except updates of still compatible apps installed a long ago like UnArchiver and a couple of others.

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Calling myself definitely works as-is. I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to place a real call. Stupid question: how long did you let it ring for? Facetime has a tendency to be slow to connect sometimes.
Helluva time to make sure it wouldn't work. I called my own Mom several times and her phone never rang. Mine would, though.

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
I'm pretty confident iTunes 10 in Mavericks won't do what it doesn't do in Lion and vice versa.
What about 9 or lower? Is the 12.6 the only option? I'd rather go back than forth with iTunes but once there's no chance it'd work the way I want it to, then I think I'm fixing to go to 12. It's a pain but as long as there's no other option then I'd go for the 12, although I'd really hate it to do on Mavericks. Please let me know.
edit: I'll try 12.6 here and will report the results. I wish I knew the way I could make iTunes 12.6 work the same way on High Sierra.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
@otetzone Have you tried or considered iMazing for managing iOS apps? It's been a while since I last used it, and I remember disliking the UI, but my memory is it could competently download and update iOS apps. The latest version is still compatible with 10.9. It's paid software, but it doesn't look like the trial version has any limits for iOS app management.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I can confirm that FaceTime outgoing calls never connect or connect randomly in Mavericks with or without proxy (iMessage is OK): tested for the last 2.5 hours by turning off Squid's proxy, unloading its agent and temporarily setting RunAtLoad to false in its plist for the purity of experimentation. Meanwhile, Viber connects with no problem in any system - a typical powerhouse. I can only assume that, although nominally being compatible, it's not so much in reality, because in Mojave it works as expected - out of the box.

Every time I make a FT audio call I get this msg in Console:
Unable to create the power assertion "ActiveFaceTimeConferenceAssertion"

The answer is that FT from Apple is crap. Use Viber instead - has way more users, is free, doesn't require to create an account, or Telegram. Both are rock-solid, stable and it appears that these companies respect their users more and if you must upgrade to use a service to its full potential without glitches, aborts and faults then it's bad practice, an unethical company not worth it.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks maverick28, I had a feeling the Facetime issue wasn't related to the proxy. Hopefully just a server blip that gets corrected eventually.

I will say that I personally have had zero issues with Facetime since downgrading to Mavericks, but I may have just been lucky.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Either it's their zonal server issues or it's the end. I don't think using Apple products such as FaceTime is a viable solution, anyway. A lot of people not using it and this is going to grow.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
It's 12.6.2 that's the newest for Mav. Also, you should disable proxy for it.
I'll loook for it and try it and will report. Was that expected that 12.6.1 would fail though?
And I'm not sure of the way to disable proxy for it. However, it sounds like an option.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I have but also was having problems with giving my Apple ID credentials to iMazing. Do you consider it safe?
...well, I've done it myself in the past, so if actions speak louder than words, those are my actions.

They've been around for more than a decade, I think we'd know by now if they were stealing credentials.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
...well, I've done it myself in the past, so if actions speak louder than words, those are my actions.

They've been around for more than a decade, I think we'd know by now if they were stealing credentials.
Sounds like common sense.

I believe something is still not working properly on my side since wowfunhappy.com still wouldn't open in Firefox

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
If that's the only site that's broken in Firefox, I must have set up the redirect wrong on my domain. I'll look into it... at some point in the future. <_<

If you set Firefox to not use the proxy, and it can't be using the proxy.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Have just double-checked it. No proxy.

ff.png

Reactions: Wowfunhappy

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Sounds like common sense.

I believe something is still not working properly on my side since wowfunhappy.com still wouldn't open in Firefox

Close a tab with wowfunhappy.com if you have it open and delete wowfunhappy.com cookies in Firefox and Safari, then try to visit it again. In Safari it probably will take you to trash its cache too, then restart or re-login.

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Close a tab with wowfunhappy.com if you have it open and delete wowfunhappy.com cookies in Firefox and Safari, then try to visit it again. In Safari it probably will take you to trash its cache too,
It worked for Safari, however Firefox is giving me "Unable to connect" page. I think the reason may also be that I have been using tweaked up files from here - Firefox privacy guide

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
In the box at the bottom (blurred out in the screenshot) add
*.itunes.apple.com
after a comma, separating domains from one another.

Woiuldn't update. It thinks for a second and then the Update button comes back on.

added.png

12 12-31-23-729.png

update.png

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Delivery Status dashboard widget
A very useful thing, thank you for sharing. I wonder if you tweaked the widget too as there's so many entries for amazon while none for ebay.
I never even knew that dashboard widgets are still available to download

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Wouldn't update. It thinks for a second and then the Update button comes back on.
The last time when I checked it by installing briefly was 1.5 years ago. Does that mean they nixed the app managing via iTunes Store in every iTunes generation?

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
The last time when I checked it by installing briefly was 1.5 years ago. Does that mean they nixed the app managing via iTunes Store in every iTunes generation?
Seems pretty much like it.

Meanwhile, noticed that Contacts.app won't update contacts from iCloud, I think it has something to do with proxy.

cnt.png

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
If you think something may be caused by the proxy, please disable it in System Preferences and see if the problem goes away. If it does, and it comes back when the proxy is re-enabled, the proxy is probably at fault. Otherwise, it isn't caused by the proxy.

It's really quite rare for the proxy to cause issues!

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
You're correct, the issue persists with proxy disabled as well.

upd. fixed by turning the swich for iCloud contacts off / on on both phones and computer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.