Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davmastyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2023
17035264754482542777684047932042.jpg

17035273005766824307085676588658.jpg

Good evening to the entire forum group. I have a Macintosh plus with this external hard drive which stopped working some days ago.
The brand is frog systems 65e

It always made weird noises Like whistles but now it makes strange noises from inside the disk... And now. It no longer boots the operating system.

Can you give me some suggestions What can I do to attempt a recovery? since it was full of many beautiful applications and old documents

I am writing to you from Italy...

I purchased this Macintosh many years ago from an English person. Indeed the external hard drive says made in Scotland

If I were able to restart it, is there a tutorial on how to transfer the contents to another kind of support? perhaps an SD card that emulates a SCSI hard disk?

Many thanks and merry Christmas to everyone

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Merry Christmas to you! You aren’t going to like what I have to say. The disk has failed. There is no way to access the data w/out using an expensive data recovery service… assuming they can even work with the ancient file system format on the disk. I’m sad to say you have learned the hard way why data needs to be backed up. Terrible way to start a new year. Best of luck. I hope you can eventually recover some files.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
If nothing else is available and it is really dead. With the power off give it a couple of firm wacks on the side and then while keeping it on its side, reattach it and try to power it up. Probably will not make a difference but on some rare occasions this actually works! If it does work, back it up immediately, the drive will eventually fail again (possibly on the next power up)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.