Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewaadela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi,
I can't connect to the internet via airport because of the self-assigned IP address issue. I've tried renewing DHCP lease and creating a new location, but it didn't work. Any other solutions?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you were able to get on before and, without making any recent changes or additions to any software, it just started occuring the first thing I'd try is a router restart.

ewaadela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
No, I wasn't able to connect before, it's a new place, both times I tried I had this issue.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Don't assign a static IP via your Mac, use DHCP. If you want to use static addresses then manage that through your router.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
OP: I believe your problem is that you are simply not connecting properly to the wifi network. You have a self-assigned IP because of this. The self-assigned IP isn't a specific symptom of a particular issue.

Where is the wifi network in question? Is this your router or one outside of your home? Are you asked for a password?

ewaadela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
OP: I believe your problem is that you are simply not connecting properly to the wifi network. You have a self-assigned IP because of this. The self-assigned IP isn't a specific symptom of a particular issue.

Where is the wifi network in question? Is this your router or one outside of your home? Are you asked for a password?

i agree, it seems that it's a connection issue with wifi. the network is in a hotel where i'm staying and i'll be staying here for a week or two each month, so i need to be able to use the internet. yes, i'm asked for a password, a separate window pops up.
[doublepost=1485267023][/doublepost]
Don't assign a static IP via your Mac, use DHCP. If you want to use static addresses then manage that through your router.

how do i change it then? thx

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
i agree, it seems that it's a connection issue with wifi. the network is in a hotel where i'm staying and i'll be staying here for a week or two each month, so i need to be able to use the internet. yes, i'm asked for a password, a separate window pops up.
[doublepost=1485267023][/doublepost]

An IT person at the hotel can probably help you.

how do i change it then? thx

You never said you had a static IP set. You have an IP which your wifi has "self-assigned". You are probably set up properly and just need the specific hotel info to get connected.

When you try to connect to the hotel's wifi, are you sure you're choosing the correct one? Does the password request come up your web browser (Safari/Chrome etc.) or as a system dialog box?

ewaadela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
You never said you had a static IP set. You have an IP which your wifi has "self-assigned". You are probably set up properly and just need the specific hotel info to get connected.

When you try to connect to the hotel's wifi, are you sure you're choosing the correct one? Does the password request come up your web browser (Safari/Chrome etc.) or as a system dialog box?

tbh i don't know if i have a static IP, i assumed that from the answer

i'm choosing the right one, the concierge got an IT guy to try fix this (fail), I still can't connect. i choose the network and then a what looks like small browser window appears (it's not a system dialog box)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"the network is in a hotel where i'm staying and i'll be staying here for a week or two each month"

Just wondering, is the internet they provide "wireless only", or do the rooms have an ethernet connection, as well?

If they have an ethernet connection, you might pack along a "travel wifi router" which you could connect directly to their ethernet, and see if that improves things...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.