Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Hi all,

I recently posted here about supping up my office G5 tower when i bring it home soon, and that has gotten me thinking about what i might be able to do with my tibook before i get a merom MBP.

i am seeing way too much of the beachball these days. i have already "maxed" the RAM to 1GB, and am wondering what other upgrades i can make to get more out of this machine. which upgrades will provide the most performance bang for the buck.

In addition to the usual word, safari (lots of that) mail, dvd, i do some photoshop work, but no real intensive video or image processing. I run 10.4.6. my harddrive is 40GB, with about 10GB free when no movie is loaded onto it. i never keep more than one feature length movie on it.

I have run applejack recently, and try to do regular maintainance.

thanks, your advice is greatly appreciated.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
one thing i am already planning on doing is uping the harddrive to a 5400 or 7200 rpm 100GB drive, and putting the old one in a firewire enclosure.

is there much else i could of value, or is that about it?

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I have a BTO TiBook "Onyx" that I use on a daily basis, just bought a USB BT adapter, and I think it is a great machine. A real pleasure to work with. I do mostly calendar, word processing, mail, during my train commute with it, so I don't really push the machine that much. All of the heavy lifting is done by my desktop Powermac G4 (Gig-E) which might soon be replaced by an iMac.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
No beachballs in a 550 Tibook with a 7200rpm drive and a gig of memory on 10.4.6 and iLife 06.

The drive will make a big difference on youur 867 Tibook.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Is it really worth it? Aren't those hard drives kind of expensive? That older CPU, GPU, and bus is going to hold you back no matter what. Selling that machine + the $300 you would have spent on the HD + how much more = a new MB, MBP, or a great deal on a 1.67 PBG4?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hate to break it to you but on speed tests with my 1.5ghz powerbook g4 against my 550mhz Tibook, they are about the same in everyday tasks.
I like the old Tibooks. And he can always pull the hard drive out of the machine when and if he does want to sell the Ti.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.