Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hope someone might be able to help me here...Wordpress forums have not helped. I recently did a transfer of a Wordpress site from one server to another. Here's what I did:

1) login to wp-admin of dev server and update the site address under the settings for the new domain address - this will make the site break and no longer available...

2) export my dev wordpress mysql database using the control panel/phpmyadmin to a local .SQL file

3) import database using that .SQL file to new server via phpmyadmin or database administration panel

4) transfer wp files from dev to new server, updating the wp-config file with new database settings

Everything is working great, only problem I've run into is page URLs are still old and have not updated to the new main URL. In the wp-admin area it still shows my old URL for the site address. (Same in the phpmyadmin.) However, if I attempt to change the URLs in phpmyadmin, it locks me out of wp-admin area.

Here's the website for reference: http://www.29elevenproductions.net

Last edited:

dkotter

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
It sounds like the old URL's are still stored in the database. I don't know if you did this or not, but WordPress has great instructions on how to move to a new server. But it might be to late to follow them.

If you don't want to manually change all the URL's, I would recommend Velvet Blues Update URL's plugin. It has worked great for me. Just install it and configure it with your old URL and new URL, and it will change all of the old URL's in the database.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
It sounds like the old URL's are still stored in the database. I don't know if you did this or not, but WordPress has great instructions on how to move to a new server. But it might be to late to follow them.

If you don't want to manually change all the URL's, I would recommend Velvet Blues Update URL's plugin. It has worked great for me. Just install it and configure it with your old URL and new URL, and it will change all of the old URL's in the database.

Thanks! That's a nifty plugin, however, it did not fix the page problems. I think I might just try simply re-creating each page in the new server... That should fix the issue.

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
First thing I would try is to go into each page and check the Permalink the site has generated.

The next thing I would check is that you have the URL changed in both places in the admin. Make sure both the Wordpress address and the Site address have been changed.

Next I would go into the permalinks settings page. Change it to something random, save, then immediately change it back. You would be surprised how many times I have found updating the permalink setting, even if it is to the same setting, fixes a lot of issues.

Next, check if you are running the W3Cache plugin, if so, dump your cache.

See if any of these help.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks, I finally figured it out changing some things in the .htaccess.

Here's the problem now:

When clicking pages, the first time you click, it redirects to a wrong URL and domain. The second time you click, it gets the URL correct and all is well. Do I need to delete my other database where this website was originally built for this to stop? Or what do I need to change to fix this?

(Try it out for yourself here)
http://www.29elevenproductions.net/

Thanks

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
There is obviously something not right with either the settings in your backend, in your page permalinks or in your menu settings. If these are all correct there is no way it can be pointing to the wrong place.

What navigation are you using? Is it the built in menu system? If so, check the links there.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
There is obviously something not right with either the settings in your backend, in your page permalinks or in your menu settings. If these are all correct there is no way it can be pointing to the wrong place.

What navigation are you using? Is it the built in menu system? If so, check the links there.

I'm so new to all this and totally a noob. Honestly I'm willing to give anyone who would be willing to help out the info to WordPress and even the server (if needed) temporarily so they could have a look around and see what's up...

I'll do what I can, but the permalinks seem fine, I've tried resetting them. So I think it either has to do with the URL settings in under General in Wordpress, or myphpadmin in the server....

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Check in phpMyAdmin wp-options table: siteURL and homeURL those should be your new site.

Rename .htacess to something else for the time being, WP will make a new one correctly.

Go to permalinks page and change the setting to something and then change it to what you want, then click update.

Never change the PID of a post even if it has your dev server address in it.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.