Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Basically, I wanna muck about making some dubstep. GarageBand isn't really built for the purpose, but I know a lot of pros use FL Studio. Only issue is, it costs an absolute fortune, and on the Mac there's no trial either, and I don't want to chance getting some dodgy trojan from installing a pirated copy.

FL Studio for iPad, on the other hand, is significantly cheaper, but is it actually any good? Will I be able to do good stuff with it, or is it just a basic gimmick?

If you think some other sort of Mac or iOS app would be better for my needs, and doesn't cost hundreds of pounds, please feel free to come forward with suggestions.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Basically, I wanna muck about making some dubstep. GarageBand isn't really built for the purpose, but I know a lot of pros use FL Studio. Only issue is, it costs an absolute fortune, and on the Mac there's no trial either, and I don't want to chance getting some dodgy trojan from installing a pirated copy.

FL Studio for iPad, on the other hand, is significantly cheaper, but is it actually any good? Will I be able to do good stuff with it, or is it just a basic gimmick?

If you think some other sort of Mac or iOS app would be better for my needs, and doesn't cost hundreds of pounds, please feel free to come forward with suggestions.

You don't get pirated copies from the Apple App Store. If you purshase an app from Apple and it doesn't meet your needs you can ask for a refund.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
You don't get pirated copies from the Apple App Store. If you purshase an app from Apple and it doesn't meet your needs you can ask for a refund.

FL Studio for Mac doesn't even exist yet, and will they give me a refund if the iPad one doesn't meet my needs? Have you got a source for that? Awesome if true.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
"FL Studio for iPad, on the other hand, is significantly cheaper"
I'm assuming that your jail broken.

Please use the appropriate forum or subforum. To help other users find the threads they are looking for, please choose the most appropriate forum for your new thread. Use Hacks for jailbreaking and customization.

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
No, I am not jailbroken. Why assume that? I'm asking for an opinion on an App Store app.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Then my original reply stands. If you purchase the app and you don't like it you may ask for a refund.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Then my original reply stands. If you purchase the app and you don't like it you may ask for a refund.

Mind giving me a source on that? Never heard of that policy before and I want to make sure it's true before I spend money.

I was also looking to do research on alternate apps, so I'm not gonna buy just yet anyway.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Mind giving me a source on that? Never heard of that policy before and I want to make sure it's true before I spend money.

I was also looking to do research on alternate apps, so I'm not gonna buy just yet anyway.

Only what others have stated on the forum. Suggest you check the Apple web site for their policy.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
The return thing is not true....... At least not in the way he describes.
You can't contact apple and ask for a refund because you don't like it.
You CAN contact apple and ask for a refund if the app doesn't work/constantly crashes or the app description is complete lies.

The process is also not super quick, and is at the discretion of the apple employee that gets your request.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
The return thing is not true....... At least not in the way he describes.
You can't contact apple and ask for a refund because you don't like it.
You CAN contact apple and ask for a refund if the app doesn't work/constantly crashes or the app description is complete lies.

The process is also not super quick, and is at the discretion of the apple employee that gets your request.

Thought as much.

And I still haven't had replies from anyone who seems to know anything about FL Studio on the iPad...

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I have no clue on what tools are needed for creating dubstep music. But I do know there are lots of videos on YouTube showing the tools in the iOS version of flstudio. So maybe check out those videos and see if they show off any tools that would work?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I have no clue on what tools are needed for creating dubstep music. But I do know there are lots of videos on YouTube showing the tools in the iOS version of flstudio. So maybe check out those videos and see if they show off any tools that would work?

Yeah, I've watched the videos, but I was hoping to get feedback from people who've used it for a while, along with people who use alternate apps. YouTube also lacks in dubstep specific FL Studio Mobile videos.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I have FL Studio on the iPad to be honest I don't care for it like I thought I would. The stock sounds aren't that good IMO so that may be why I frown on it. I haven't got around to loading my own sounds though so my opinion will probably change once that happens but I don't think it's worth the $20+ asking price to be honest. It's nothing more than Music Studio for iPhone which to me the sounds that came with it sounded better.

GarageBand has good sounding stock instruments. If GB had a piano roll and the ability to export the project as a mid or workfile that could be used on your desktop it would be perfect.

ETA:Why do you say FL Studio cost a fortune? The PC Producer version is $200, $300 if you want the everything. Compared to the cost of Cubase,Sonar,Protools this is cheap.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
$200 is a lot of money for some software, especially since there isn't even a Mac version yet.

Then again, there are versions which are a lot cheaper, but they're also more limited. Could I do the genre of music I want using the basic FL Studio though?

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I don't have a Mac but $200 for DAW software is cheap.

As far as the music you want to make as long as you have the VST and the imagination you can do whatever kind of music you choose.

If you have a PC download the free trial and see

or you can try REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/

There's a Mac version and you can try it for 30days, after that you are suppose to delete it if you don't buy a license but it still works after 30days even if you don't

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I don't have a Mac but $200 for DAW software is cheap.

As far as the music you want to make as long as you have the VST and the imagination you can do whatever kind of music you choose.

If you have a PC download the free trial and see

or you can try REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/

There's a Mac version and you can try it for 30days, after that you are suppose to delete it if you don't buy a license but it still works after 30days even if you don't

Reaper looks good actually, I've come across it before.

I have the thing I want to make in my head, it's getting it to sound like that when I actually come to making it that's the issue :p

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I've got it also and works well. Just get some good VST, there's a few freebies out there but you just have to look for them

Do you have a MIDI controller or do you plan on mouse clicking or using your keyboard to play eveything?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I've got it also and works well. Just get some good VST, there's a few freebies out there but you just have to look for them

Do you have a MIDI controller or do you plan on mouse clicking or using your keyboard to play eveything?

I plan on using the mouse and keyboard. Should be fine for the type of music I'm doing, I think. I can always get a MIDI controller if I feel I need one.

Since making this thread I've found a few good forums for dubstep music production and stuff which I can use for tutorials and VST recommendations and so on :)

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Good deal but I still recommend a MIDI controller eventually although a lot of people click there stuff in. It's just quicker for me to play it out then use the piano roll to go in and fix any notes I missed

Good luck with your music:)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Good deal but I still recommend a MIDI controller eventually although a lot of people click there stuff in. It's just quicker for me to play it out then use the piano roll to go in and fix any notes I missed

Good luck with your music:)

If I end up getting really into it I'll invest in one :)

Thanks, and you too :)

MURDERBOYZZ90

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
I use FL studio mobile for iPhone. Though it's not the iPad my experience with the iPhone app is pretty splendid..I am able to make beats(hip hop) and transfer them into pretty much any file format. To use with other programs such as Abelton live. I enjoy it and I do recommend it. I have messed with the of version but briefly and I think it's a bit simpler to use in iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.