Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
complete newb when it comes to digital audio, but found a website where i can download .flac files of live songs from concerts.

i've been listening to them using vlc player

any way i can turn them in to mp3's and put them on the iPod?

thanks guys

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Use Max to convert the Flac files to Aiff, and then import into iTunes with your favourite codec. (Tried once to use Max to convert directly from Flac to aac, but that wasn't a great success. :eek:)

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
The only problem I ran into using Max to convert flac directly to aac is that if you use the "aac adts" output format the file will not be playable in iTunes. You need to use one of the "mpeg4 audio" output formats.

Mitthrawnuruodo, was your problem with the fact that the files were not playable or did you have issues with the quality?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
FistfulofAngst said:
The only problem I ran into using Max to convert flac directly to aac is that if you use the "aac adts" output format the file will not be playable in iTunes. You need to use one of the "mpeg4 audio" output formats.

Mitthrawnuruodo, was your problem with the fact that the files were not playable or did you have issues with the quality?
It was probably the same issue you had, ie not playable... just had a couple of files and went for the "safe" solution and just took an extra conversion step... I figured that was faster than actually finding out what was wrong... ;)

But, thanks, now I know how to do it if the situation ever reappears... :)

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
You must first understand that flac is a zipped up container of the high quality audio file. Flac is not a codec in the same way aac or mp3 is.
You simply have to 'unzip' the file (un-flac it), and you have the original high quality wav or aif file. Then you can take that aif or wav file and encode it to whatever format you want.

FYI you can do the same with apple's lossless format. Zip and unzip. Both flac and apple's lossless format are playable of course. Not many portable players support playing back flac, but a few do here and there. I think this one does flac playback:

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.