Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
A0cPAV3.png

z9Y1lbn.png

Well, I hope this new "Swing Copters" game will make his life more...simple.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I know this has nothing to do with iOS, but I'll just share this quickly. In 2009, I bought the PS3 (digital download) of Battlefield 1943. It was $14.99. That's it. No IAP. $14.99 and it's yours.

Well, I just started playing that again just to see if anyone else is still playing-- which they are-- and that game is so damn fun. I then looked at my stats, and I did like 300 hours or something like that since 2009. Then I looked at the #1 guy, and he's over 5000 hours, which I can't even comprehend. Anyway, my point, that $14.99 gave me 300 hours of fun, which comes to $0.05 per hour. Now, if these iOS games with IAP could give me that type of fun for a nickel per hour, I would have no problem paying. But so far, the only iOS games I've had a great time with were the ones I actually paid for, no ads, no IAP, and you get what you pay for. The ones I did pay for with IAP turned out to be horrible and costly.

Now, we get what we pay for (free games), then we really get what we pay for in IAP.

That is all.

----------

Exactly... that's what I was saying earlier.

Either he learned his lesson and can finally cope with "success"

.... or the whole stunt 6 months ago was just BS

Definitely the latter. Definitely. The guy was so saddened by the success, he kept on mentioning it EVERYWHERE he could. He pulled the game he was so sad, but apparantly kept his revenue stream open with ad revenue coming into his depressed bank account. Poor guy. I hope this new game really lifts his spirits. Not to poke fun, maybe he took some of the $50k/day he was making and bought rosetta stone app or something so he can work on his English. I got sick of reading "Flappy bird bad. Addicting game not flappy bird mine. Ok?"

iosdoc

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
The trailer is quiet promising and I think it is going to be a big hit.
People now like 8-bit games more now days

lastcall

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for posting .99-cent games as relevant news. MacRumours, making the rich richer, keeping the poor poorer. :(

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Exactly... that's what I was saying earlier.

Either he learned his lesson and can finally cope with "success"

.... or the whole stunt 6 months ago was just BS

He is a kid. From what I've read, him flipping out and learning coping skills for a new situation is far more likely than some bizarre ploy to slam the door on money actually rolling in to possibly make money 6 months later.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sounds like somebody needs to get over themselves. What a bunch of nonsense. Anxiety because of 29,000 twitter followers, wow! I wonder how the real celebrities with millions of followers can even get out of bed in the morning.

Those are people that want to be famous. All I wanted to do was make games and have a public point of contact. It goes up by around 1000 people a day. I need to ask if you have so many people looking at you, waiting for you to tell them something. again I can't speak for Nyugen personally, maybe he was in a similar situation. Mine peaked when I was up on stage demoing my games to thousands in an audience and hundreds of thousands more watching a streamed version. After that I was out for a bit.

If you're a musician and you want to have the money and hide in the shadows you can. In the games industry you can't. You either work for someone else or you make a name for your own work.

And saying that someone who makes an app would feel stressed about people purchasing it shoukdn't be making apps, because that's the purpose of it all.

The purpose, for me at least, is to do something I enjoy. I don't enjoy the PR side of things. I had a hobby as a kid and continued it to the point that I make a very good living off it. My business partner and girlfriend handles the PR stuff.
Things to look up: introverts, social anxiety, imposter syndrome

Plus, don't confuse people talking about someone on an internet message board as real fame. It isn't.
If you're referring to Nyugen then he's got his fame now and has found a way to deal with it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Will Swing Copters suffer the same fate? Too addictive and/or too much stress on the creator?

I can't imagine it will do. It'll have a big following but it won't be as big as Flappy Bird. It's the same problem Mojang face. Nothing they ever make will be as big as Minecraft, they're smart and must know that. But it stops being about making games that are more successful than your previous ones and you just make stuff for the sake of making it.

----------

I know this has nothing to do with iOS, but I'll just share this quickly. In 2009, I bought the PS3 (digital download) of Battlefield 1943. It was $14.99. That's it. No IAP. $14.99 and it's yours.
This is why I don't bother with mobile gaming. They're relying on tricks to get you to play a game. It's gambling tactics and it's horrible. That's slowly spilling out onto console games too but you can still buy the "full experience" in one purchase.

But for now that isn't a problem with gaming. Just mobile gaming.

Definitely the latter. Definitely. The guy was so saddened by the success, he kept on mentioning it EVERYWHERE he could. He pulled the game he was so sad, but apparantly kept his revenue stream open with ad revenue coming into his depressed bank account. Poor guy. I hope this new game really lifts his spirits. Not to poke fun, maybe he took some of the $50k/day he was making and bought rosetta stone app or something so he can work on his English. I got sick of reading "Flappy bird bad. Addicting game not flappy bird mine. Ok?"
Not to poke fun, but could you invest in a dictionary (bolded).

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
And then take a look at Call of Duty, Angry Birds and other creatively-bankrupt series.

----------

Sounds like a lot of people here still don't know about anxiety and being a break-out developer. I consider myself a fairly non-anxious person but over the past couple of weeks my companies Twitter account went from around 800-30,000 followers and it scared me. I didn't sit there with dollar signs in my eyes, it's scary to go from nothing to something so fast.

Eh, I just wonder about the kind of people who play down the creators anxiety. Is money the only thing of value to them? Have they ever had instant fame? How good are they at coping with things in general?

Agreed. Folks seem overly harsh here and I don't really understand why. I don't see any reason to crucify the fellow and look forward to trying his new game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Agreed. Folks seem overly harsh here and I don't really understand why. I don't see any reason to crucify the fellow and look forward to trying his new game.

I just put it down to ignorance and the lack of understanding that someone else can exist in a different set of rules and goals than your own. I live in the UK but some of my relatives on the other end of Europe have a completely different culture and set of goals than my own, I can't fathom how different life would be for someone who lives in a communist (I believe?) country on the other end of the world.

----------

Commander Keen was a fantastic game! I still play it on Boxer from time to time. We need more games with graphics like that. :D

There are loads on PC http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=retro

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sounds like somebody needs to get over themselves. What a bunch of nonsense. Anxiety because of 29,000 twitter followers, wow! I wonder how the real celebrities with millions of followers can even get out of bed in the morning. And saying that someone who makes an app would feel stressed about people purchasing it shoukdn't be making apps, because that's the purpose of it all.
Speak for yourself. I write books but that doesn't mean I want fame. It would be such a ball-ache. It just isn't for some people, including myself. I value privacy more. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop writing books, I'm just going avoid getting too popular.

Exactly what Dong Nguyen did. If it was indeed the pressure that made him pull the app and not a publicity stunt.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Well, to all you flappyy birds haters. I think he is doing it again...
Well done Nguyen. I think you beat the copter clones to it...

People will download enmasses before he pulls it again.. haha. Whatever works, I think it's great marketing too, even though I think he is sincere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.