Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Yanno I’ve seen those go for close to $100 USD here in the states, so that auction BIN isn’t half bad. I thought twice about buying it myself lol. :D

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Congrats on your purchase. That is one card I’ve always wanted.

Thanks. I'll be glad to be rid of the MX!

I’m curious how it will fit in the QS case.

I'll share some photos of the installation when it arrives but in the meantime, here's the ever brilliant Greg Hrutkay fitting one into his QS - fast fwd to 8:49. :)

That thing is humongous.

Yep! As soon as I saw it, I was reminded of the gigantic expansion cards for PCs during the 80s and also whoppers like this from the 90s for the professional high-end models of the Commodore Amiga:

gvp_iv_24_03.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
And I thought my voodoo5500 was big stuffing it into my mid case (“portable” gaming rig lol) back in the day :D

Man those go for stupid money now & to think I gave mine (in box no less) to goodwill. Oh well dems the breaks! :p

• Haha

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
@RhianB It hasn't arrived yet, I've got around another fortnight before it reaches the UK's shores. The glories of trans-Atlantic waiting times. It's not as bad as China or Hong Kong though - when the items arrive, I have to remind myself, "Oh yeah, I ordered this!" :D

Reactions: z970 and 1042686

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
The speak of the devil and it shall arrive: this evening, to be exact! :D

B6fplRl.jpg

gUMo42t.jpg

7lLdKGf.jpg

As you can see, the surfboard managed to fit! However, I'm starting to suspect that there's some sort of strange problem with the QS and how it processes video playback. Exactly the same issues that I described earlier with the MX card are present with the 4600. Videos (some more than others) suffer from horrible artefacts including macroblocking but they look fine with the 7000 on my Sawtooth or my other Macs.

In case there was an issue with the QS' Tiger installation, I swapped over the Tiger HDD from my Sawtooth into the QS and the problems still occur on the QS using the same videos and media players (VLC and MPlayer). I took some screengrabs from the videos that demonstrated the severity and when I opened the PNG's in Preview on the QS, you could spot them clearly but the screengrabs all look absolutely fine when viewed on other computers.

What could be causing this? Some kind of logic board/CPU issue? I'll reiterate that this doesn't occur on my Sawtooth using the same versions of the media players that are running on the QS. This doesn't happen on any other machine and I've used the same monitor with both G4s.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
What could be causing this? Some kind of logic board/CPU issue?

Seems to me it's likely to be one of three things:
  1. There may be a capacitor failing somewhere on your logic board, in some path that affects graphics processing. I don't find this likely on a QS, you just never hear of it. But they're getting pretty old, so who knows?
  2. Your CPU may be failing. Since Tiger depends on the CPU to a great degree for graphics processing, and since your 4600 graphics card doesn't support Core Image (thus placing more load on the CPU), this seems a possibility. If the videos in question are playable in OS 9, you might try that and see how things go. I'm thinking the 4600 may take more of the load off in OS 9 than it does in Tiger, but in any event OS 9 is far lighter on resources than OS X. If nothing goes wrong doing the same tests in OS 9, your CPU might be the culprit.
  3. Your PSU might be failing. I find this to be the most likely possibility, as it's not uncommon. A failing PSU could also be the cause of numbers 1 and 2, if they're happening. This would affect the way graphics display on your QS, but wouldn't necessarily corrupt the video/photo files themselves, thus leaving them without artifacts when viewed on a different machine.
FWIW. Could be none of those things, but those are my best guesses.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
If the videos in question are playable in OS 9, you might try that and see how things go. I'm thinking the 4600 may take more of the load off in OS 9 than it does in Tiger, but in any event OS 9 is far lighter on resources than OS X. If nothing goes wrong doing the same tests in OS 9, your CPU might be the culprit.

I can test this out in OS 9. Which media player would you recommend for OS 9?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I can test this out in OS 9. Which media player would you recommend for OS 9?

I'm not much of an OS 9 guy, but QuickTime used to meet all my needs. QuickTime 6.0.3 is the latest version you can run pre-OS X. Some people over at Mac OS 9 Lives recommend 3ivx, but I've never used it. Then there's @alex_free's efforts of late, here and here, but I haven't tried those yet either.

Surely some of that will be of some use? Seems the Classic Mac life is just passing me by. ?

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Some quick & easy things I’d test are:

1. Video cable swap
2. Ram - swap each stick & test for artifacts
3. PSU - test with multimeter for good 12, 5, 3.3v power
4. Swap with another QS cpu
daughtercard?
5. Visual check for bulging caps.
6. visual check of agp port for visible debris.

Reactions: z970

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm not much of an OS 9 guy, but QuickTime used to meet all my needs. QuickTime 6.0.3 is the latest version you can run pre-OS X. Some people over at Mac OS 9 Lives recommend 3ivx, but I've never used it. Then there's @alex_free's efforts of late, here and here, but I haven't tried those yet either.

Surely some of that will be of some use? Seems the Classic Mac life is just passing me by. ?

I'm not much of an OS 9 guy either and after trying to play the videos in question, I was quickly reminded of why that's the case. I couldn't figure out 3ivx - it requested that I move it to the extensions folder, which I did but there was no option to use it for playback. QT 6.0.3 couldn't play them and I suspected that outcome, given that 10.4's QT couldn't either.

Some quick & easy things I’d test are:

I'll answer these in the order that I've tackled them. :D

2. Ram - swap each stick & test for artifacts

I swapped over the RAM from the Sawtooth: no change.

6. visual check of agp port for visible debris.

This seems to be ok.

1. Video cable swap

This produced very interesting results! Initially I was hesitant because the VGA cable and LED monitor set up are faultless with the Sawtooth. However, I connected the QS to my Panasonic 50" plasma TV with a DVI to HDMI cable and 90% of the problems vanished. Almost all of the artefacts have disappeared: entire portions of the video image are no longer caked with huge macroblocks, distorted colour tones and other unwanted additions. Things aren't perfect - I can still see pixelation with some videos but hopefully this can be worked on and in the meantime I can live with it.

Impressively, the 4600's pixel clock automatically configured the HDTV for 1080i in Tiger and 9.2.2. Although I set it to 1280x720 because that's more than adequate for most tasks. I have to thank you @RhianB - the surfboard is indeed super! :)

3. PSU - test with multimeter for good 12, 5, 3.3v power

I don't have a multimeter but I suspect this is a worthwhile purchase for future troubleshooting. If you have any recommendations, please share.

4. Swap with another QS cpu
daughtercard?

Something like this? It's considerably slower than the present CPU but useful for testing purposes, or is this somewhat redundant in light of the more positive outcome from switching to DVI - HDMI and the plasma?

5. Visual check for bulging caps.

Here's some shots. I'm not the best at spotting these problems so I'd appreciate the verdict of the more observant.

X8p5ehH.jpg

jVAz52c.jpg

QfpZAjN.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1042686

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@TheShortTimer I would try testing the "faulty" video cable that the QS was using with another machine. Maybe it will present problems there?

That might give you a little better idea of the situation.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
@TheShortTimer I would try testing the "faulty" video cable that the QS was using with another machine. Maybe it will present problems there?

That might give you a little better idea of the situation.

I'd been using it with my Sawtooth and an LED display all along without any issues, which is why I was surprised at the markedly different outcome when I switched the QS to a DVI - HDMI cable and my plasma TV.

Initially I was hesitant because the VGA cable and LED monitor set up are faultless with the Sawtooth.

Reactions: z970

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I've had the GeForce 4 titanium 4600 for less than a month and problems appear to have arisen. The pessimist in me fears that the card is faulty. Hopefully I'm wrong but 2nd opinions on this will be a big help.

All of a sudden, 1080i no longer appears to display correctly - no matter how many times I reboot, re-select the resolution or change the refresh rate from 50hz to 60hz, or vice-versa. Here's a shot and what you see is exactly how it looks to me.

Oajn5dG.jpg

Even at 720p, there are still problems, including the corruption of text - or the failure to display the text in its entirety even when refreshed or re-arranged.

mMgxqHU.jpg

azZTqOe.jpg

Videos that previously played without issue now suffer from moments where a black horizontal line appears (sometimes several lines) and the image appears to scramble for a few seconds and the output flashes to black. This only occurs in full-screen and switching media player makes no difference, neither has booting from a different OS X partition.

Here's a short clip of the problem that I filmed using my phone. Please excuse the clumsy camerawork but I did manage to capture the flashing.

In attempt to troubleshoot, I reinstalled the stock MX card let a 2hr film play in full-screen mode with a different monitor and none of these issues occurred so that gives the Quicksilver's logic board the all clear and points towards the 4600 as the culprit. I doubt that the Panasonic TV is at fault because I've tested it with other Macs and PCs via DVI to HDMI and the same tasks and resolution/refresh rate and they're fine. I've also swapped the DVI to HDMI cables with no change regarding the 4600.

I suspect that its DVI signal is failing because when I reinstalled the 4600 and connected it to the other monitor via VGA, using a DVI to VGA adapter, the problems didn't occur. What say you, my fellow MR members?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
How hot is the card's heatsink, and how is its fan behaving? Have you tried cleaning out the DVI pins / holes?

As I understand it, you're using a VGA cable over a DVI to VGA adapter from the card's DVI output? What about trying the card's straight VGA output?

I would definitely keep testing its VGA signals like you are, you might be onto something there about its signals failing if none of the above proves useful.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
As I understand it, you're using a VGA cable over a DVI to VGA adapter from the card's DVI output? What about trying the card's straight VGA output?

That's right, for several weeks I'd been running the card to my HDTV over HDMI with DVI to HDMI. In light of the problems, I've now instead tried the 4600 with a different monitor that has a VGA input by using a DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA cable. The card doesn't have a VGA port, there are two options - DVI or Apple Display Connector

How hot is the card's heatsink, and how is its fan behaving? Have you tried cleaning out the DVI pins / holes?

The heat sink and fan appear to be combined.

1280px-NVIDIA_GeForce4_Ti_4600_Mac.jpg

It's difficult to see what's going on because of the way cards are positioned in the G4 cases but I could try and film it. Would should I be paying attention to in terms of the fan operation and the heat sink? The DVI ports sockets seem to be clear.

I would definitely keep testing its VGA signals like you are, you might be onto something there about its signals failing if none of the above proves useful.

It does appear to lead towards that conclusion. When I run the card via DVI to HDMI, the problem now manifests itself immediately when a video is played straight after the desktop has loaded, which makes me suspect that the failure has begun. Should I contact the seller and ask for a refund or should further troubleshooting be explored first?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
That's right, for several weeks I'd been running the card to my HDTV over HDMI with DVI to HDMI. In light of the problems, I've now instead tried the 4600 with a different monitor that has a VGA input by using a DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA cable. The card doesn't have a VGA port, there are two options - DVI or Apple Display Connector

The heat sink and fan appear to be combined.

1280px-NVIDIA_GeForce4_Ti_4600_Mac.jpg

It's difficult to see what's going on because of the way cards are positioned in the G4 cases but I could try and film it. Would should I be paying attention to in terms of the fan operation and the heat sink? The DVI ports sockets seem to be clear.

It does appear to lead towards that conclusion. When I run the card via DVI to HDMI, the problem now manifests itself immediately when a video is played straight after the desktop has loaded, which makes me suspect that the failure has begun. Should I contact the seller and ask for a refund or should further troubleshooting be explored first?
Good luck trying to get your money back, unless the seller offers returns.

From the picture above, I don't see any bulged or leaking capacitors, but take a real close look at them.

Otherwise, if you can't get a return, try a ADC to DVI adapter. the card has two SI TMDs's for the digital signal, if you are lucky, it maybe the one on the top that is failing, and the one that drives the ADC port maybe ok.

If you have a good magnifying glass, check the solder joints on the two Silicone Image TMDS's and the resistors around them.

TMDS.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I would pursue a refund. I think its fair within the timeframe of buying and int'l shipping and testing the card etc. I mean you've only had it for 17 days. You've experienced problems that frankly, I don't think should be there. IIRC the 4600 was advertised as a working used card and this is not IMO a "working" card. You've seen what a working card looks & operates like with the Hrutkay mod video. This card is doing wacky stuff. I'd not hang onto it if it can be avoided. Shoot the seller an email immediately stating the issues, and request a refund.

If for whatever reason ebay loses their marbles and sides with the seller, the first thing Id do is pull the heatsink, clean the gpu and repaste it, but I think you'll be ok.

Good luck. :apple:

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Good luck trying to get your money back, unless the seller offers returns.

eBay has a money back guarantee. If the seller is completely uncooperative, eBay will usually just refund you the money themselves and apologize for the inconvenience. My guess is that the seller's account then receives some kind of consequence as a result.

What should I be paying attention to in terms of the fan operation and the heat sink?

If you aren't actually hearing anything suspicious, the fan is probably operating normally.

Just touch the metal. If the surface is very hot, I would try repasting it and then see if the problems go away.

I don't think they would cause any issue with what you're experiencing, but check the RAM chips also. Case in point, putting heatsinks on an R300's chips is pretty much a requirement if you want the card to live a very long life. Tons of cooked boards out there due to insufficient cooling.

The DVI ports sockets seem to be clear.

I would use a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol to brush out all the pinholes of any undetectable dust or slight corrosion. It's not that likely, but there does exist a chance it could be connection related. Some pin not sending the signals it needs to when called for, maybe.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
From the picture above, I don't see any bulged or leaking capacitors, but take a real close look at them.

:) That's not my card. This is mine:

iMgsueU.jpg

GmPyoWj.jpg

Here's some shots of the caps and the fan:

b5WqOEk.jpg

Dlw5IeL.jpg

c6w7Xpx.jpg

4DDCRPn.jpg

KGdgzlm.jpg

Otherwise, if you can't get a return, try a ADC to DVI adapter. the card has two SI TMDs's for the digital signal, if you are lucky, it maybe the one on the top that is failing, and the one that drives the ADC port maybe ok.

I scoured the net searching for those adapters and it seems they've vanished from sale - everywhere. DVI to ADCs are easy found but not the reverse.

I would pursue a refund. I think its fair within the timeframe of buying and int'l shipping and testing the card etc. I mean you've only had it for 17 days. You've experienced problems that frankly, I don't think should be there. IIRC the 4600 was advertised as a working used card and this is not IMO a "working" card. You've seen what a working card looks & operates like with the Hrutkay mod video. This card is doing wacky stuff. I'd not hang onto it if it can be avoided. Shoot the seller an email immediately stating the issues, and request a refund.

If for whatever reason ebay loses their marbles and sides with the seller, the first thing Id do is pull the heatsink, clean the gpu and repaste it, but I think you'll be ok.

Good luck. :apple:

Thanks, I've sent the trader a message and attached photos of the issues. Let's see what their response is.

eBay has a money back guarantee. If the seller is completely uncooperative, eBay will usually just refund you the money themselves and apologize for the inconvenience. My guess is that the seller's account then receives some kind of consequence as a result.

That's right. Amazon are even better in this respect, from my experience.

If you aren't actually hearing anything suspicious, the fan is probably operating normally.

Just touch the metal. If the surface is very hot, I would try repasting it and then see if the problems go away.

I don't think they would cause any issue with what you're experiencing, but check the RAM chips also. Case in point, putting heatsinks on an R300's chips is pretty much a requirement if you want the card to live a very long life. Tons of cooked boards out there due to insufficient cooling.

I would use a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol to brush out all the pinholes of any undetectable dust or slight corrosion. It's not that likely, but there does exist a chance it could be connection related. Some pin not sending the signals it needs to when called for, maybe.

If the seller refunds me and doesn't ask for the card to be returned stateside, I'll have a go with those suggestions and also that of @DearthnVader to check the "solder joints on the two Silicone Image TMDS's and the resistors around them." Or ask an engineer friend with the equipment to inspect it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.