Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Are these two apps (Flash & After Effects) kind of similar in the resulting outcome that they can produce?
What are their differences and for what reasons should i select ether one of them to learn?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok thanks, but how is AfterEffects different to Flash? I can understand the difference between Pshop and Illu... what about AE and F?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Flash is dead. Don't waste your time on it.
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/
Yep, Flash as an embedded content player is dead, but the program used to create Flash animations is very much alive and has been renamed Adobe Animate. You can still export video and HTML5 content with Animate. From the article you linked:

And we’ll continue to provide best in class animation and video tools such as Animate CC, the premier web animation tool for developing HTML5 content, and Premiere Pro CC.

Ok thanks, but how is AfterEffects different to Flash? I can understand the difference between Pshop and Illu... what about AE and F?
The difference between After Effects and Flash/Animate is similar to the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator respectively. After Effects is excellent for manipulating existing video just like Photoshop is great for manipulating existing raster images. Flash, like Illustrator, is a vector-based program and is therefore great at creating animation without video.

You can, with limited success, create Flash-esque animations in After Effects and vice-versa. When I was a kid, all I had was Flash, so I bodged a lot of terrible VFX into video with Flash.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thats what i thought but this guy came along and told me that Flash is outdated compared to AE and that he preferred to work with an updated app (AE) rather than an outdated one (Flash), simply because he could do the same things and better. Thats what confused me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.