Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
I was disappointed to find that the SanDisk iXpand can only copy photos and videos from the iPad. I’m hoping that this isn’t a limitation imposed by Apple.

I’m a creative pro and need to back up large Procreate and Affinity Photo docs.

Yes, I can back up to the cloud, but upload is slow over wifi.

iTunes is a dog, but I do plug in and backup regularly.

Ideally I would like a flash drive that backs up everything. There are 256GB drives available so this is theoretically possible. At least it should be compatible with Files.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Can’t you just use a different app that supports iXpand to write the file? The api is public after all.

I’m not 100% sure what apps support iXpand, but I know a lot of them do now, File apps as well, e.g. filebrowser for business. If they allow write, I see no reason why it would be limited to photos/video in those types of apps.

From my work on using the iXpand api, it just writes nsdata, there’s no limitation on what the type of file has to be - I believe what you are experiencing is a limitation with the Sandisk app rather than the hardware/api.

Reactions: Duckyduckbumps

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest another app that supports iXpand? (Apart from FileBrowser)

Can’t you just use a different app that supports iXpand to write the file? The api is public after all.

I’m not 100% sure what apps support iXpand, but I know a lot of them do now, File apps as well, e.g. filebrowser for business. If they allow write, I see no reason why it would be limited to photos/video in those types of apps.

From my work on using the iXpand api, it just writes nsdata, there’s no limitation on what the type of file has to be - I believe what you are experiencing is a limitation with the Sandisk app rather than the hardware/api.
[doublepost=1516275760][/doublepost]My preference is OneDrive, as I have an Office 365 subscription with 1TB of storage. But uploads are very slow.

Apple continues to restrict the iPad's abilities and always will.

I keep most my files on Dropbox but still use the iCloud backup with iTunes backup once ever few weeks or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.