Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
i got to thinking... what's a good, simple, free flash editor that lets me take flash files and edit them? like what i mean is cut them up and shorten them.. that's what i plan on doing...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I don't think there's any such thing - Flash is a proprietary format and I'm pretty sure Macromedia would be all over anyone who tried to get inside it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I don't think you can. Flash is a delivery format. I have not heard of anyone taking someone else's flash .swf file and being able to rejig it for their own use.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Lacero said:
I don't think you can. Flash is a delivery format. I have not heard of anyone taking someone else's flash .swf file and being able to rejig it for their own use.

It can be done - To an extent.

You can download swf movies and edit them, extract graphics from them, etc. The only problem is that your ability to do this is severely hindered because when Flash outputs a file to swf format it flattens it, makes everything on one layer frame by frame.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i have in the past found an application that will take apart .swf files. i did a quick google search and couldn't find it again. i used it to extract passwords from flash files back in my hacking days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.