Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Appears fine on firefox & flash player 7 though with safari and beta 8 I get area's of an animation that disappear, usually if that part of the animations not updated it stays white.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Have you ever worked in flash at all? I'm not trying to be rude but with flash player 7 and earlier there was a big speed hit on OS X when viewing large flash sites such as 2 advanced.
Yeah it "looks fine" but visit it with a windows machine and you'll realize how much faster and smoother the animation is.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
its still way slower than it should be... as opposed to 30% slower, its only 15%. but as does/will everything else, flash player will perform like it should after the switch.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Just finished installing...it is faster on Safari and everything does run smoother. I can't wait until Studio 8 comes out.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Obviously Flash on Windows is going to be tons faster at playing these animations but I viewed 2 advanced with Flash 7 and 8 on a DP 2.5 with 4.5Gb ram and the site played at a respectable speed no stuttering or slowing down though with Flash player 8 I notice areas where the animations as I mentioned previously that are not refreshed seems to disappear. I see the animation playing the pre-loader popping up smoothly, lines zipping around, content popping in, the rendered water scene playing etc without any delays or stuttering, then again viewing the site on a Mac Mini or iMac I'd probably get the impression too that 2 advance is choking the cpu with all the vector tweening and so forth.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I notice a bit of a difference but it is still pretty bad. The family guy website used to be terrible and at least now its acceptable.

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
uhhh whenever i see a flash site i press the back button. I cant understand why people use flash for whole websites its just irritating.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
xelterran said:
uhhh whenever i see a flash site i press the back button. I cant understand why people use flash for whole websites its just irritating.

the an$wer i$ quite $imple really, or atlea$t that$ why I do it.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
xelterran said:

Not if done well. It can be irritating when it takes so long just to go to another page in the Flash movie due to long transitions, effects, etc. But if just enough transitions and eye candy is there to give it that 'slick' look but not take too long to go through, then - at least to me - can be very impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.