Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have a flashed to 5,1 '09 Mac Pro that had been happily running all OSs up to Yosemite and then Sierra on an OWC SSD, for maybe 4 years. A little while ago I re-flashed with a newer version that was said (on a forum devoted to the flashing process) to be necessary for High Sierra, and Sierra continued to run just fine. Shortly thereafter, on a morning after an all night work session during which I fell asleep at the keyboard, I awoke to find my Mac Pro running High Sierra from my boot SSD. I must have been sleep-typing or maybe just left hands in place, but the HS updater had run successfully and I was happy with the result. I now want to clone the boot drive with High Sierra to a larger SSD which is known to be good since it boots Mountain Lion in an e-Sata enclosure. I cloned the boot SSD, using Carbon Copy Cloner, to a partition on an internal "green" hard drive, which volume mounts and boots (slowly!) High Sierra. When I cloned this partition to my eSata SSD it begins to boot but finally gives the "no access" icon. (The reason I cloned the High Sierra System from the HD partition was that my HS boot drive developed an unfixable consistency error, but I had created the partition, which tests AOK, before this happened.) Are there any particular make SSDs which are problematic with High Sierra? Could the SSD need a firmware update? It booted other OSs. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

In summation: OWC SSD running High Sierra is cloned to HD partition, which boots but when cloned to e-Sata SSD does not boot, even in safe mode. Same e-Sata drive boots Mt. Lion. All drives are HFS formatted except the original boot SSD, which is APFS.

BTW, graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 8970 3072 MB.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.