Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Hey everyone. I recently bought a couple of GeForce 6600‘s for little money. I want to flash one to put in my PowerMac G4.
I know that you use Nvflash to do this but there doesn’t seem to be any information on what to do to flash this card. I am a total noob on flashing gpu’s and I assume you’d need a custom rom file in addition to nvflash. Is there any site which has these files?

I also watched Action Retro’s video on flashing a gpu and he didn’t say anything about needing a rom file which makes it seem like you’d only need a version of nvflash (which he had to hunt down for a random version on the internet for some reason)

Does anyone know more?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hey everyone. I recently bought a couple of GeForce 6600‘s for little money. I want to flash one to put in my PowerMac G4.
I know that you use Nvflash to do this but there doesn’t seem to be any information on what to do to flash this card. I am a total noob on flashing gpu’s and I assume you’d need a custom rom file in addition to nvflash. Is there any site which has these files?

I also watched Action Retro’s video on flashing a gpu and he didn’t say anything about needing a rom file which makes it seem like you’d only need a version of nvflash (which he had to hunt down for a random version on the internet for some reason)

Does anyone know more?
Most everything you need to know is on here.

I’ve never flashed a 6600, only a 5200, and a 6200. Should be simple as long as everything is compatible, though.
First off which model of PowerMac G4 is it? Some of the earlier G4s are keyed so 4x/8x cards don’t fit.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Most everything you need to know is on here.

I’ve never flashed a 6600, only a 5200, and a 6200. Should be simple as long as everything is compatible, though.
First off which model of PowerMac G4 is it? Some of the earlier G4s are keyed so 4x/8x cards don’t fit.
Thanks for the info and link.
It's a Quicksilver so I believe it's compatible. I used this guide to check.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

You'll need to PC ROM off the card, and a 128k EEPROM soldered onto it, sadly we lost the 64k ROM Maker for the 6600.

Also it is required to disable PINS 3 and 11 for the QS Mac on the AGP caard.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021

You'll need to PC ROM off the card, and a 128k EEPROM soldered onto it, sadly we lost the 64k ROM Maker for the 6600.

Also it is required to disable PINS 3 and 11 for the QS Mac on the AGP caard.
Thanks. Are there no pre-made 64k roms for the 6600 anywhere? I could solder a 128k eeprom but I’d rather not go to the trouble if there are easier means

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Sorry, I've never seen any.
Hmmm.. I'll see what I can do with this GPU. I still have page up on a local market place asking for GPU's which could work in a PM G4 (which is how I got the 6600) so I'll probably wait for a little way longer until someone has a different GPU for offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.