Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Hello, sorry if this isn't the best forum section to ask, but I was uncertain where else it could be.

I have been considering getting a rather old PC graphics card known as ATI X1950XT (512Mb version, as opposed to 256Mb), and while people have successfully Mac-flashed the 256Mb version (likely using the X1900 XT as a base), has anyone here ever flashed the 512Mb version on their Macs? Or knows anyone who successfully did so?

While I intend to use this for my G5 Quad PowerMac, this is not necessarily a PowerPC question: as long as the Mac is equipped with PCIe, whether PPC or Intel, the subject is potentially relevant (even if flashing procedures differ for each case).

What puzzles me is the fact similar effort has happened with the 512Mb version of the GeForce 7800 GTX, but not for this ATI graphics card. Is it because only NVidia had a (PPC) Mac-compatible 512Mb GPU to be used as a base? (NVidia Quadro 4500 FX, assuming that was used as the base as opposed to the GeForce 7800 GT, which is only available in a 256Mb version.)

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mind the thread being reallocated to a more proper section, if one exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.