Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robcrouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hey All, I have a strange boot problem with a 2008 iMac.

I get a flashing folder icon but i have just installed my SSD (with OS X pre installed) it works fine in any other mac (my macbook, another iMac)

I even managed to get it to boot the first time I turned it on (it loaded up to log in screen) but for some reason now I get the flashing question mark folder icon....

when I take the drive out and use on another mac t boots fine.

I also have a second HD 2.5 sata drive with a copy of OS X installed and it does the same with that (this also works with other macs)

anyone know whats going on? at present i only have bluetooth keyboard so cannot connect it to try alternate booting methods.

Rob

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
As two drives do it (and assuming one wasn't made a clone of the other), then it points perhaps to a drive cable or interface problem on the iMac. If you put either drive in an external USB enclosure can you option-boot from there?

Reactions: Weaselboy

robcrouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
As two drives do it (and assuming one wasn't made a clone of the other), then it points perhaps to a drive cable or interface problem on the iMac. If you put either drive in an external USB enclosure can you option-boot from there?

I was thinking similar.... I am suspecting a faulty Sata cable connection perhaps.

I havnt been able to rest the drives in an external USB as I have only wireless keyboards that are not paired with the machine. (I have ordered a wired one on eBay) but meanwhile any other suggestions are welcomed....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I get a flashing folder icon but i have just installed my SSD (with OS X pre installed) it works fine in any other mac (my macbook, another iMac)
Odds are that the preinstalled OS X version is not compatible with your 2008 iMac. What version of OS X is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.