Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
So as the title says. When starting up my 6,1 this evening i got the flashing globe. Then it boots up. I understand it is trying to load from network but i cannot find ANY info on WHY or how to resolve. Doesn't do it on every restart but still is happening.

Ive only had this mac for a couple weeks and have never had this issue with my other macs. The only thing i have done with it is import itunes library from my 5,1.

Everything was working fine until tonight. Ive tried the usual resetting nvram etc. Im stumped. Booted into safe mode and ran first aid on drive all good. Went to startup disk and there is only the one drive. Spent couple hours researching this and all i get is " its trying to load from network "

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
I assume it is not seeing the internal blade.

Is it an Apple one?

Correction : It is indeed an apple drive. I saw the OWC sticker when I first opened it and assumed. While thinking at work today I realized I'm an idiot. Should check everything. It was late last night and I was tired.

IMG_4902 Large.jpeg

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
Try disabling everything user specified that loads on startup:

1. Login items
2. extensions
3. launch agents, daemons, etc.
I haven't set anything up as far as I know. I turned it on and got the welcome to Monterey screen. Haven't customized anything at this point.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
So i think i know the problem. The damn keyboard that i sent back to OWC couple years ago and they said there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back to me. I left it in closet until getting the 6,1 i figured well ill give it a try ( even though I KNOW ) there is something intermittently wrong with it.

So im thinking the n key was maybe sticking , dont know for sure. Which would explain trying to boot over network. Also was having issues getting into recovery mode etc. Swapped to my trusty old logitech keyboard that i use for testing and was able to boot many times without an issue. But since i was in troubleshooting mode i also reinstalled Monterey.

I was thinking maybe the drive was failing at first but thinking otherwise , for now. I plan on upgrading the drive and have already ordered the adapter. Cant believe that keyboard got me again. We'll see over the next few days. What a frustrating thing. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.