Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When booting my iMac, there is an earth globe flashing on and off and the iMac cannot boot. What does this flashing globe mean?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The article says that "If this icon appears, it means that the system is attempting to NetBoot (startup from a remote volume), is failing doing so, and for some reason is not automatically moving to your valid Mac OS X installation"
but why in the first place does it attempt to make a NetBoot?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Usually because the system cannot locate a bootable volume on the computer.
Now would be a good time to restore your system from a known good bootable backup.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Usually because the system cannot locate a bootable volume on the computer.
Now would be a good time to restore your system from a known good bootable backup.
Restore? Why do you say that?
I have a TMachine Backup, is that what you mean?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Restart your iMac and hold down the option (alt)-key. You will get an icon display of all available boot devices. Maybe even the internal volume does work but accidentally NetBoot was activated.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there some way to activate NetBoot on purpose? Maybe I pressed something?

But I still don’t get why #jbarley prompted for a Restore!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
that would be via the startup volume settings in the system preferences.
If that’s the only way, then it could be some kind of malfunction. But do you have a comment on the Restore solution?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
If that’s the only way, then it could be some kind of malfunction. But do you have a comment on the Restore solution?
he probably refers to restoring your system installation if you are unable to boot from the internal drive.

Reactions: jbarley

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So I don’t need to take any xtra measures, just to update my backup is enough... correct?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
So I don’t need to take any xtra measures, just to update my backup is enough... correct?
You have to boot the Mac from the internal drive - maybe install/recover MacOS first or start it from an external medium - and then you can reinstall your user data from Time Machine

Reactions: zoran

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
the normal method would be....
Start up while pressing the "Alt" key to get to the selection screen.
Select your Time Machine for start up.
Now select a backup to restore, preferably one from a time before your boot problem occurred.

photo.JPG

Reactions: Slartibart

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
But if I act like so with TMachine, that would mean, that I accept the problem is a software one and not hardware. Might that be true by taking in mind the fact that the iMac went to a NetBoot?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
But if I act like so with TMachine, that would mean, that I accept the problem is a software one and not hardware. Might that be true by taking in mind the fact that the iMac went to a NetBoot?
If you are able to boot the machine from an external or the internal drive you can easily use the Diskutility to check the health of the internal drive. the reason that the machine tries to start via NetBoot might be related to a accidental change of the start volume.

The time machine backup is just the easiest way to return to your last known working software configuratio. if Diskutility reports problems you will have to address that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.