Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
That's good information. I didn't know that the 7950 Apple card barfs at Windows EFI as well. Thanks for that.

I've read from a source (and they sound to be wrong) that the switch isn't "hot-swappable" and requires a restart. In some ways, that statement doesn't make sense, it seem like it would be, like you said. Btw, I've noticed that that switch, when moved to the other position, allows me blue-tooth stuff to not work. I need to do some more testing to verify, but that seems to be the case. WEIRD.

Yea, you give a good method for flashing it back that I did think about, but after reading that post I thought I'd just be safe and get a Bios version of windows 10 loaded on a spinner and do it that way. I'm glad I did, because it's just something nice to have around just-in-case, ya know?

Sounds like I'm on the right path. My plan is to ignore not having boot screens. I'd have to do that if I updated to a 1070/1080 anyways, so might as well get used to it. It also leaves the card "stock" which may make it more marketable (I do plan on selling it eventually when I upgrade later this year).

Sounds like I need to disable SIP. Is what you're thinking with SIP disabled, that bootchamp (and startup disk) will work in MacOS to boot into windows? And vice versa, that selecting "Restart in Mac OS X" would work in Windows to get back into MacOS?

Sounds like that's my fix. For me:

1) Leaving Windows EFI is a good thing for me. I boot back and forth a lot (up to 3 times a day), so the faster, more prettier boots are going to be very worth while. Plus, not having to zero out my drive and start over again is always nice. :)

2) EFI is the way of the future. Going back to Bios is more of a tactical approach. Plus, I can imagine cards coming out in the near future that have EFI support on them by default because PCs have started to gravitate towards EFI over Bios, so it doesn't make sense to go "backwards".

3) Who knows, with the next release of High Sierra, maybe some things will work itself out to where SIP can be enabled again once I disable it (if that's my current fix).

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
That's good information. I didn't know that the 7950 Apple card barfs at Windows EFI as well. Thanks for that.

I've read from a source (and they sound to be wrong) that the switch isn't "hot-swappable" and requires a restart. In some ways, that statement doesn't make sense, it seem like it would be, like you said. Btw, I've noticed that that switch, when moved to the other position, allows me blue-tooth stuff to not work. I need to do some more testing to verify, but that seems to be the case. WEIRD.

Yea, you give a good method for flashing it back that I did think about, but after reading that post I thought I'd just be safe and get a Bios version of windows 10 loaded on a spinner and do it that way. I'm glad I did, because it's just something nice to have around just-in-case, ya know?

Sounds like I'm on the right path. My plan is to ignore not having boot screens. I'd have to do that if I updated to a 1070/1080 anyways, so might as well get used to it. It also leaves the card "stock" which may make it more marketable (I do plan on selling it eventually when I upgrade later this year).

Sounds like I need to disable SIP. Is what you're thinking with SIP disabled, that bootchamp (and startup disk) will work in MacOS to boot into windows? And vice versa, that selecting "Restart in Mac OS X" would work in Windows to get back into MacOS?

Sounds like that's my fix. For me:

1) Leaving Windows EFI is a good thing for me. I boot back and forth a lot (up to 3 times a day), so the faster, more prettier boots are going to be very worth while. Plus, not having to zero out my drive and start over again is always nice. :)

2) EFI is the way of the future. Going back to Bios is more of a tactical approach. Plus, I can imagine cards coming out in the near future that have EFI support on them by default because PCs have started to gravitate towards EFI over Bios, so it doesn't make sense to go "backwards".

3) Who knows, with the next release of High Sierra, maybe some things will work itself out to where SIP can be enabled again once I disable it (if that's my current fix).

The flashed 7950 actually worth more than the stock config. You can check that on eBay .

massimo57

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Devon, United Kingdom
Radeon 7950 HD on MP3,1: a question... or should I start a new thread?
I flashed my MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III with netkas bundle etc. Everything is ok if I just restart the mac. BUT if I do a cold start, the booting stops 3/4 of the way with a white screen when it's supposed to give me the final user login screen. Any ideas why?
I already tried all the usual PRAM, SMC, etc. It works perfectly well on Windows 8.1 though...
?‍♂️
?

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 17.16.10.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.