Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Finally upgraded the flashlights in my house after the ones we had got a wee bit old.

Decided on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FK5XYN4?psc=1&smid=A2N4P33Z7UPC2W&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp to replace all the ones we had (failing rechargeable lantern, 2 rechargeable Anker flashlights from 2016, etc). Had some MagLite LED flashlights but they kept losing power as I shook the flashlight so I gave those away.

What surprised me was, I was really hoping to find a rechargeable flashlight with USB C and I really didn't find anything I liked.

The GearLight above at least takes AAA and I know I can get rechargeable AAAs and or Made in USA AAAs so I figured ok, I'll just do that. The flashlight also takes 18650 batteries but after spending considerable time on Amazon looking at these, I couldn't find a reputable company that I'd trust. Also, the manual for this flashlight states I need to take out the 18650 battery when not in use?! https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2429036/Gearlight-S1050.html?page=2#manual.

Thought about this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Tactical-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Water-Resistant/dp/B01KH2JP5G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=245U4WHYHQ5H4&keywords=anker+flashlight&qid=1694019118&sprefix=anker+flashligh,aps,211&sr=8-2 but I'm done with micro-USB cables. Our old 2016 Anker flashlights still work really well today (original battery) but getting rid of micro-usb.

Questions: Anyone recommend good AAA batteries for LED flashlights? I'd like to go rechargeable AAA as I already have a charger. The last AAA flashlight I tried leaked after a few months of light usage years ago... <shrug>.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations welcome - thank you!

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've got one of those flashlights that takes either 3AAA or on 18650 lithium. I prefer using the rechargable lithium battery as the more light output compared to the AAA.

NiMH discharges faster than LiON, so that explains the battery draining so quickly. The chargers and battery aren't much more than AAA and charger.

If you insist on AAA, I suggest the Eneloop as they hold their charge longer than regular NiMH.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I've got one of those flashlights that takes either 3AAA or on 18650 lithium. I prefer using the rechargable lithium battery as the more light output compared to the AAA.

NiMH discharges faster than LiON, so that explains the battery draining so quickly. The chargers and battery aren't much more than AAA and charger.

If you insist on AAA, I suggest the Eneloop as they hold their charge longer than regular NiMH.
What brand of 18650 lithium do you use? All I found were a ton of no-name brands on Amazon that reviewers said had 1/4th their claimed capacity.

Thank you! Haven't used Eneloop for a long time - but I remember those used to be (are still?) made in Japan and were highly rated.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I recently discovered they make LiIon AA rechargeables which kind of blew my mind. I picked up some Deleepow's that have a USB-C connector on them for charging. 3400mAhr. I don't quite have my head around it all yet and haven't used them enough to form an opinion but maybe it's starting point for some research if you're interested (including whether AAAs are available).

Best I can tell they have a little charge and voltage converter board in them that outputs a true 1.5V unlike NiMH. They seem to have higher capacity than NiMH. I suspect there's a tradeoff is lost efficiency at low current-- if that converter board needs to power up then it'll be a parasitic drain.

For a flashlight application though, it's probably either high current or off.

I don't know the self discharge rate on these either, sadly. I just saw them and wanted to experiment-- so far I've only gotten as far as buying, charging, putting in drawer...

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
In terms of battery chemistry, lithium has the highest energy density, good self-discharge rates, and will provide the highest performance.

Quality NiMH cells like Eneloops have excellent self-discharge characteristics, and are less temperature sensitive, but only provide average performance.

I wouldn't consider regular alkaline cells for anything that won't see regular usage or maintenance. They're not nicknamed "alkaleaks" for nothing.

Unless commonality of the form factor, or other practical reasons like that are the top priority, lithium offers the best balance between performance and storage readiness.

AAA cells, used in triplicate, are common because they can supply the voltage in the operating range of most LEDs. They're also readily available, but aside from those characteristics, offer little to no advantage. No "serious" or "real" flashlight is going to use those 3x configurations, only those that are designed to be cheap.

Like a lot of things, flashlights can turn into an all-consuming hobby for some people, who recognize the difference between genuine tools (which don't necessarily have to cost a lot of money), and toys or other cheap junk peddled to the masses.

Even if you don't foresee going down that rabbit hole, I'd suggest doing some reading, like the primers here and here.

Avoid the cheap zoomies on Amazon (which really aren't so cheap), and be rightfully skeptical of claims of 18650 cells that have anything >3500mAh capacity; none exist in the real world.

A lithium-powered flashlight from a brand like Sofirn, Wurkkos, Convoy, or that "budget" segment will provide real performance, good build quality, and at good value. Many of their models have on-board USB charging, and come bundled with solid cells, at reasonable prices, when ordered direct. They also operate stores on Amazon, but the prices there have to account for the seller fees and other costs Amazon imposes on their marketplace sellers.

The types of lights run the gamut, so without knowing what the goals or intended usage are, it's hard to make specific recommendations.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
What brand of 18650 lithium do you use? All I found were a ton of no-name brands on Amazon that reviewers said had 1/4th their claimed capacity.

Thank you! Haven't used Eneloop for a long time - but I remember those used to be (are still?) made in Japan and were highly rated.
Eneloops are still made in Japan. Top quality, for sure.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
In terms of battery chemistry, lithium has the highest energy density, good self-discharge rates, and will provide the highest performance.

Quality NiMH cells like Eneloops have excellent self-discharge characteristics, and are less temperature sensitive, but only provide average performance.

I wouldn't consider regular alkaline cells for anything that won't see regular usage or maintenance. They're not nicknamed "alkaleaks" for nothing.

Unless commonality of the form factor, or other practical reasons like that are the top priority, lithium offers the best balance between performance and storage readiness.

AAA cells, used in triplicate, are common because they can supply the voltage in the operating range of most LEDs. They're also readily available, but aside from those characteristics, offer little to no advantage. No "serious" or "real" flashlight is going to use those 3x configurations, only those that are designed to be cheap.

Like a lot of things, flashlights can turn into an all-consuming hobby for some people, who recognize the difference between genuine tools (which don't necessarily have to cost a lot of money), and toys or other cheap junk peddled to the masses.

Even if you don't foresee going down that rabbit hole, I'd suggest doing some reading, like the primers here and here.

Avoid the cheap zoomies on Amazon (which really aren't so cheap), and be rightfully skeptical of claims of 18650 cells that have anything >3500mAh capacity; none exist in the real world.

A lithium-powered flashlight from a brand like Sofirn, Wurkkos, Convoy, or that "budget" segment will provide real performance, good build quality, and at good value. Many of their models have on-board USB charging, and come bundled with solid cells, at reasonable prices, when ordered direct. They also operate stores on Amazon, but the prices there have to account for the seller fees and other costs Amazon imposes on their marketplace sellers.

The types of lights run the gamut, so without knowing what the goals or intended usage are, it's hard to make specific recommendations.
WOW thank you for the detailed reply. When I searched on Amazon for USB C Rechargeable Flashlights I didn't find anything I liked. And like you mentioned, most of the 18650 no-name cells on Amazon had horrible reviews, most of them saying that they didn't even have half their rated mAh.

I donated all the flashlights I had in our house (due to age, etc) last week, so looking towards getting a set of emergency flashlights for next to the bed (earthquakes here in CA), and I wouldn't mind a rechargeable high powered light for me.

I only dropped $26 on the Gearlights and the AA batteries. Figure those will make good bedside emergency household lights.

And after your post, looking at the Sofirn SP60, Sofirn Q8 Pro, Sofirn C8L for me but will read the primers before I splurge. :D And they're USB C!

Thank you again!

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Ended up going with Wurkkos FC11. Figured I don't need a super expensive throw light when most of the time I just need something to light up a room - and I want something to put in my backpack to carry around. And for $28, can't beat that! :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Keeping in mind that where I live at (interior of Alaska), by 21-22 of December we receive about one hour of daylight you can assume the most people have a lot of experience relating to flashlights, headlamps, and batteries, at least in their use outdoors during extreme cold temperatures, and indoors in a heated dwelling.

a. The main advantage of Lithium batteries is that they can store more energy that most other batteries. Greater capacity means that the battery will take longer to discharge. However, you have to take into consideration that Lithium does not react well to very hot temperatures as it happens in the Southern-most US States, which in not a problem in Alaska. Also, under very cold ambient temperatures, all fully-charged batteries suffer from low-electron flow, regardless if made of Lithium or not. Photographers usually carry spare batteries when taking photos at the local winter dog-sled races, and regardless of the battery type the "spares" are kept warm in one's warm chest pockets close to one's skin.

b. You can spend a fortune buying the most expensive and fanciest flashlights with rechargeable Lithium and other batteries, but there are lots of flashlights that use 3 AAA batteries and cost under $15.00. After living in the interior of Alaska for over 36 years, I prefer non-rechargeable flashlights and batteries. In fact the 3 AAA alkaline flashlights are my favorite in places when the aren't places to charge batteries. I have very expensive flashlights, but the very common flashlights that my wife and I use the most have alkaline batteries one can find in all the stores in town (AAA, AA, C, D, and so on). The ones we used the most are LED flashlights such as the Lux-Pro LP600, but there are numerous of other brands (all made in China) that have the same specs. (aluminum body, waterproof to a certain depth, around 600 lumens, rubberized grip, adjustable light beam, Hi/LOW and flashing output, etc.).

We also have a couple of Coast four AA-cell flashlights (hard plastic, submersible, adjustable beam-same as above). These have high intensity LED that project a light quite a long distance. Again, non-rechargeable. I take one of these in addition to other flashlights and headlamps when taking photos of the Auroras, but only used it to spot moose and other animals at a great distance for safety reasons :)

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Ended up going with Wurkkos FC11. Figured I don't need a super expensive throw light when most of the time I just need something to light up a room - and I want something to put in my backpack to carry around. And for $28, can't beat that! :D

Good choice. The FC11 is very popular as an entry-level recommendation/gift for neophytes, and serves as a "gateway drug" for many.

It's closely related to the Sofirn SC31 Pro, which swaps the high-CRI emitter for one with higher output, and a more sophisticated UI, known as Anduril. Yes, flashlights can have their own OSes of sorts.

Both can regularly be had at the ~$20 level discounted, when ordered direct from their manufacturers. Can take a couple weeks, shipped from China, but they offer some options that aren't stocked on Amazon.

If this is your first venture dealing with bare, unprotected lithium cells, I'd strongly suggest reading up on their proper care. They offer great energy potential, and performance that can't be matched by other types, but also increased risk, so they need to be treated with respect and not neglected.

• Love

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Good choice. The FC11 is very popular as an entry-level recommendation/gift for neophytes, and serves as a "gateway drug" for many.

It's closely related to the Sofirn SC31 Pro, which swaps the high-CRI emitter for one with higher output, and a more sophisticated UI, known as Anduril. Yes, flashlights can have their own OSes of sorts.

Both can regularly be had at the ~$20 level discounted, when ordered direct from their manufacturers. Can take a couple weeks, shipped from China, but they offer some options that aren't stocked on Amazon.

If this is your first venture dealing with bare, unprotected lithium cells, I'd strongly suggest reading up on their proper care. They offer great energy potential, and performance that can't be matched by other types, but also increased risk, so they need to be treated with respect and not neglected.
I definitely should have talked to you before jumping on the FC11 - thankfully they are a lot cheaper than the $100+ I was expecting to spend lol.

Wow the SC31 looks better and it's $10+ cheaper on the Sofrin site vs Amazon. How interesting.

Thank you very much for the information. - Will read up on the Lithium cell protection/care.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
@TheIntruder what do you think of Nebo rechargeable flashlights?

Ex:

I refuse to buy any more non-rechargeable lights. tired of battery acid leaks destroying my favorite lights. My remaining lights that use normal batteries now have the batteries taped to the outside of the flashlight.

I had great experience with Nebo rechargeables during the February 2021, Texas Snowpacolypse
five days without electricity in below freezing temperatures + all roads iced & impassable followed by five days without water flowing.

However, I went to top off the charge on my my two-year-old Omni 2k nebo rechargeable and it’s completely dead.

Will not turn on at all. I recharge my lights religiously every six months since that 2021 experience where I almost froze to death.

Any suggestions for a replacement light similar that Nebo?

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012

Well, I had to get the SC31 Pro. <cough>. I gave away the AAA Gear Light flashlights.

Got the FC11 in the mail yesterday and absolutely enjoy it. I can't believe this thing is brighter than my Anker flashlight I had since 2016. Took awhile to get used to the button functionality but I really like this flashlight. I really like the 4000k bulb. The Eco setting works really well for me for a light inside the house.

Looking forward to getting the SC31 in the mail today - figured it can't hurt to have a backup while one is charging. Tho, found out that the FC11 can work while charging (wow!).

Told my wife that I'm good with 2 and only 2 - just 2. https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/16ascmb (Re: First comment - I too showed this to my wife). :D

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I refuse to buy any more non-rechargeable lights. tired of battery acid leaks destroying my favorite lights. My remaining lights that use normal batteries now have the batteries taped to the outside of the flashlight.
Yep, this was my biggest motivation. Ever since I was a kid, I was a huge MagLite fan. But I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace those things because of leaking batteries (MagLite replaced quite a few for free). AA batteries seem to leak way worse, even Duracells from Costco. That and always keeping a big box of AA/AAA batteries around seemed to be annoying. I bought a big box of AAAs above only to find out I had stashed a box of AAAs in a cupboard years ago (donated both boxes with the GearLights last week). Not to mention, every time I had an emergency, the lights were barely putting out any light despite hardly being used (that's when I usually found a battery or two leaking).

So I said, I'm done. I'm so glad I posted this thread and met TheIntruder (and others here). lol. I'm 1 day into ownership of the FC11 and absolutely loving it.

Reactions: MareLuce

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
look forward to hearing what you think about the SC31 !
Wurkkos FC11 4000k (left) vs sofirn SC31 Pro 6500k (right)

IMG_1335.jpeg

TLDR: I much prefer the FC11's warmer light (I'd describe it as cream white) but I like the build quality/design on the Sofirn better. Really like the green LED that is always on the SC31. (Not as yellow in real life!)

IMG_1337.jpeg

Learning how to use the FC11 took a little bit of getting used to. But once I learned how to use that, using the Sofirn was easy as pie (at least for basic operations). The SC31 can get a lot dimmer than the FC11 at its lowest setting and it is noticeably brighter at its highest setting, but wow does it get really hot really fast - like start a fire hot. (FC11 does too but not as rapidly at highest setting).

Despite the FC11 being 1300 lumens, the SC31 at 2000 lumens is *much* brighter (in real life it is far more noticeable than how the iPhone captured the turbo modes below) - I wouldn't say 2x brighter but 1.5x at least:

IMG_1336.jpeg

I believe the SC31 can charge faster if you have it plugged into a charger that can give it exactly what it wants. But it gets pretty warm while charging at this rate.

Note that both lights can be used while plugged in but you have full usage with the SC31. The FC11 just turns on/off while plugged in (can't do anything else), the SC31 can do everything as if it was unplugged when plugged in (change brightness, high mode, etc).

The manuals (especially the SC31's) need a magnifying glass to read. The SC31 is an entirely different animal vs the FC11. Think of an entire computer in this thing - so many things you can do, modes, settings. So if that interests you, spending a little more for the SC31 is a must.

Both lights came with a USB A to C cable, a lanyard tie for the back, and 2 rubber seals for the waterproofing at the screw-in points. I used my MacBook USB C charger and an Anker 60w USB C charger to charge them successfully. First charge on FC11 took 4+ hours. First charge on the SC31 took 2.x hours - but it got really hot so I moved it to a slower charger (took about 3 hours total).

Spend the time to get to know these lights. Watch some YouTube videos on them - you'll learn some things that not even the manual includes. lol.

One of the reasons why I got the SC31 was that I read it sustains it’s output as the battery drains whereas the FC11 dims as battery gets closer to empty.

Conclusion

The Wurkkos FC11 is my favorite - I'll be using this indoors and in my backpack.

The sofirn SC31 Pro is a close second. Feels more secure in the hand, is much brighter - I'll be using this when I go on walks, need something a bit higher powered, etc.

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
@TheIntruder what do you think of Nebo rechargeable flashlights?

Sorry for the delay; I don't come around here much any more.

I don't have any personal experience with their stuff.

That said, Nebo is ok, in the sense that it's an actual company, versus a fly-by-night Amazon third-party seller, one might be better off in that respect.

But at a glance, a lot of their stuff appears to be nicely packaged versions of Chinese ODM products that can be had for less, if one isn't worried about the brand/packaging/warranty.

And for the kind of money they ask, it's well into the mid-range of lights from reputable flashlight makers.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
So I said, I'm done. I'm so glad I posted this thread and met TheIntruder (and others here). lol. I'm 1 day into ownership of the FC11 and absolutely loving it.

Doesn't sound like your done. Sounds more like you caught the sickness and may be just getting into the "hobby." 😉

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
@TheIntruder , @BigMcGuire

Black Friday shipment from Sofrin arrived. Ordered 6 lights.

These are definitely brightest lights I have for the size.
Sentimental favorite is the smallest, the SC02. It weighs nothing. I attached a camera wrist strap to it and put it in the back compartment of my purse.

On the bad, the one I was most looking forward to and immediately could use, the HS41 headlamp,
was DOA. I removed the round circle of paper, I charged it overnight. Still, no response when I press the "on" light.

=== Smallest to largest:

1 of
Sofirn SC02 Mini Flashlight 320lm USB C Rechargeable Keychain EDC Light High CRI
style : with battery
SC02-KH353-BK-5K-2

2 of
H02A Colorful Rechargeable Headlamp Powerful 2400 lumen 2* LED bulbs, Type-c Headlight With IP66 waterproof
style : SST40 version with battery
color : Green
WG-H02A-SST40-GR-WH-2

2 of
Sofirn SC31Pro 2000LM Anduril 2.0 UI 5000K Rechargeable EDC Flashlight with SST40 LED
style : 5000K with battery
color : Blue
ship from : China
SC31Pro-Anduril2-Blue-5000K-Set

1 of
Sofirn HS41 4000 Lumens Rechargeable Headlamp USB C Right Angle Headlight Powerful 21700 light
style : with battery
TINT : 6500K
HS41-6K-with battery

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
@TheIntruder , @BigMcGuire

Black Friday shipment from Sofrin arrived. Ordered 6 lights.

On the bad, the one I was most looking forward to and immediately could use, the HS41 headlamp,
was DOA. I removed the round circle of paper, I charged it overnight. Still, no response when I press the "on" light.

It happens. You can check to see if it's truly dead by trying another cell, and checking that the head is tight, and making contact with the rest of the body.

You'll almost certainly have to shoot a short video showing that it's DOA, and they'll send a replacement.

They won't ask for the original back, so you can keep it around for parts, and have an extra cell as well.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Yep, got it squared away with Sofrin. They are sending a replacement.

question about the blue one, the Sofirn SC31Pro if you have that one
it has a cool small soft green LED on the side, like a "locate me" light for the flashlight

Do you keep that on? I'd guess they designed it to draw almost nothing but it's still gotta be using some battery.
I'm sure I could un-screw the end enough to turn off the light.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Yep, got it squared away with Sofrin. They are sending a replacement.

question about the blue one, the Sofirn SC31Pro if you have that one
it has a cool small soft green LED on the side, like a "locate me" light for the flashlight

Do you keep that on? I'd guess they designed it to draw almost nothing but it's still gotta be using some battery.
I'm sure I could un-screw the end enough to turn off the light.

I set it to dim mode, and physically lock out by loosening the tail cap, since it isn't in daily use and sits inside a drawer much of the time.

Not much difference in idle drain between dim and setting it to be completely off. But both are substantially lower than the "normal" mode, where it has been measured to draw between 1 and 1.5mA, versus 0.09mA on dim.

Physical lock out will cut it down to the cell's own self-discharge rate.

Still a good idea to do periodic voltage checks, and retire any cells that have been mistakenly deep discharged.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I you use your flashlight outdoors in places where it gets very cold, avoid metallic flashlights unless they have a rubberized grip. Aluminum dissipates heat quite well, and this helps the LEDs cool. But grab an aluminum flashlight with your bare hands in temperatures below the freezing point, and you will be surprised :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.