Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Well... there you have it.

A friend of mine bought today a top of the range MacBook Air...

After years of windows he thought this would be the next 'big thing'

Absolutely hated the UI.. "looks like some kid with crayons"!

Taking it back to the store without ever having a go at the Mac thing we all love.. (and hate?).

What the hell is going on?

This from Apple's Human Interface Design..

Make a great first impression with a beautiful app icon. Your app icon is the first experience users have with your app, and it can have a marked effect on their expectations. Think of your app icon as your calling card, and spend the resources necessary to ensure that it makes the right impression on users. Decide whether your app is best represented by a realistic or graphic style icon. For example, the Garage Band app icon is a beautiful rendering of a guitar.

garage_band_icon_2x.png

Aim for realism if you create the appearance of real-world materials. In some cases, real-world textures, such as wood, leather, metal, or paper, can enhance the experience of an app and convey meaning to users. If this makes sense in your app, make sure that the texture you create:

• Is authentic and expressive, and looks great at all resolutions

• Coordinates with the overall appearance of your app and does not look like it was added as an afterthought

• Enhances the user’s experience and understanding
I was hooked into Mac from System9.. looked great.. encouraged inspiration.

Loved Aqua...

I don't mind a flat UI on my phone... not on my desktop though.

I'm afraid I'm finding the flat UI depressing and a real turn off from using my Mac...

Compare the GarageBand icon with this abomination..

Attachments

• yosfinder.jpg
    yosfinder.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
So I take your question would be: "What the hell is going on" - right?

I can only give you my 2 cents.

We've seen the whole industry make Blueberry iMac look-alikes back in the days. From coffee machines to vacuum cleaners and paper clips: everything was transparant, had vibrant colours and pinstripes.
At this point in time, another flow seems to have raised it's head, where everything is flat wherever you look. Sure, Ive has to do with it, but there's Metro, Materials, Infographics, even architecture. Minimalism has replaced Aqua, to put it real simple.

Also, computers have become a consumer's product. Apple used to care about professionals in a rather explicit way, but no longer. Maybe the iPhone drove them to become just another firm of box movers. Whatever the (broad) public seems to want, they build it.
Remember what Ford said and Jobs quoted: "If I would have asked people what they wanted, they'd say: a faster horse". Well, if you ask me, honestly, Apple is delivering faster horses these days.

I know you love Aqua, and in turn you know I used to theme the hack out my Tiger configuration. But, even while we're in the UI Customization forum, at the end of the day you need to get your work done. If that implies a little more than firing up iTunes or stare at your desktop with one Finder window open, I guarantee that after a while you won't even experience the flatness anymore. While I'm writing this, I actually had to check which system appearance I was running: blue or graphite. That's how trivial it all became to me.

On the other hand, if I were 20 or so years younger and still in the middle of business, I'd switch to Windows no later than tomorrow morning. But oh well, I got over it. :D

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.