Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's release of iOS 8, a number of new systemwide alternative keyboards will also be debuting in the App Store. Yesterday, we covered SwiftKey, and today sees the introduction of another major entrant: Fleksy.

Fleksy's primary claim to fame is speed, having been recognized as the fastest keyboard in the world. The keyboard relies on advanced autocorrect features to interpret input and includes extensive gesture support to make it easy for users to delete, add punctuation and spaces, or select an alternate autocorrect suggestion by swiping anywhere on the keyboard.

fleksy_ios_8_2.jpg
Fleksy also includes built-in support for hundreds of emoji, as well as a resizable keyboard and support for 40 languages at launch. And as with some other popular alternative keyboards, Fleksy learns from the user's typing patterns, improving its performance with time.

fleksy_ios_8_1.jpg
Fleksy arrives today as a $0.99 download with several colorful themes to allow users to personalize their keyboards, with additional premium themes available for a single $0.99 purchase. It is compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

Article Link: Fleksy's Speed-Focused Gesture Keyboard for iOS 8 Launching Today

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Wow, with the big fuss around iP6, I completely forgot that my good old iP5 is getting a piece of the cake with iOS 8 as well. So it looks like soon I'll be able to try Continuity with Yosemite Beta... man, I'm badly waiting for this feature. :p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is something I don't understand - why is it free? How is development supported?

Edit: The article was corrected - this is not free, but $0.99. Which answers my question of how they support development.

Last edited:

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
This is something I don't understand - why is it free? How is development supported?

Fleksy arrives today as a $0.99 download with several colorful themes to allow users to personalize their keyboards, with additional premium themes available for a single $0.99 purchase. It is compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Does anyone know if a simple keyboard tweak like swipe selection is being made? Or if any of these 3rd party apps can do what swipe selection can? Thanks

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I tried Fleksy and thought it was terrible. I found myself to be writing slower and had more typos. Its flat design and removal of key "buttons" made it in my view less efficient as there are fewer visual ques where a key/ letter begins and ends making it harder to hit particular letters. Im not sure I described this well, but I personally did not like the keyboard.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Thank you for at least showing what your product does or is. That swift key commercial is just silly. You watch it and have no idea what it does. Slow motion skateboarders don't help me at all.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
so using one of these 3rd party keyboards means the developer gets to see what you type? and they use a users Facebook and google + account to check on words?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I just want a CAPS key where I can intuitively tell whether the damn thing's on or not

How come I can only click the Up arrow on your comment once? :)

Or all the keys on the keyboard change between upper and lower case characters. That would solve everything for me. That was a nice, simple hack I had on a jailbroken iPod touch once.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I just want a CAPS key where I can intuitively tell whether the damn thing's on or not

That's rather the Shift key, because Caps Lock is kinda intuitive with that small horizontal line at the bottom. But the shift is really confusing, I agree. After constantly using iOS 7 since its debut, I still couldn't tell anyone which color means that it's on. It was so nicely straightforward in the old versions of iOS: when it was glowing like hell, it was ON. :rolleyes:

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Or all the keys on the keyboard change between upper and lower case characters. That would solve everything for me. That was a nice, simple hack I had on a jailbroken iPod touch once.

^ +1. Seriously, we're on the iPhone 6 already. It has a digital keyboard, not a physical keyboard. How tough could it be to show the upper-case letters in upper-case and the lower-case letters in lower-case. I will gladly pay to install any third-party keyboard that has this feature. We should not have to jailbreak for this.

In fact, we shouldn't need a third-party keyboard for this =)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.