Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
and by Mac mini I mean: Quad PM, 2.5 gbs of ram, 400 gb WD Cavaiar 16mb SE, 500 gb hitachi, and 7800 gt. Can't forget the Cinema display. Yummy.:cool:

My last mac was a 1.5 g4 powerbook last december. This is a whole different league :) Ah man its 4:54 a.m. here now. I'm going to sleep.

Attachments

• boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 340
  • drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 282
  • macondesk.jpg
    macondesk.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 404

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
PCMacUser said:
Sounds like rich parents :)

Alright, I'll rephrase:

"What did you do to deserve all that?"

Better be something of benefit to the whole human race...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Deepdale said:
No jealousy here ... it is way too much horsepower for my most humble needs, but I am very pleased for the recipient.

Yeah good point there. I probably wouldn't need the CPUs either, but the screen would be cool. :cool:

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
mad jew said:
I probably wouldn't need the CPUs either, but the screen would be cool.

Agree with the screen aspect, but I am always puzzled by those who express jealousy over another person's items when I know for a fact that they could afford them just as easily as I could. It people wait for comparable goodies to arrive at their doorstep by some mysterious and generous benefactor, it will be a long wait indeed.

An unrelated issue: At this point, the major item on my mind is a possible ciytwide transit strike set to affect NYC at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning. For a town as dependent on mass transit as New York is, the results will be quite chaotic especially during Christmas week.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Deepdale said:
...but I am always puzzled by those who express jealousy over another person's items when I know for a fact that they could afford them just as easily as I could. It people wait for comparable goodies to arrive at their doorstep by some mysterious and generous benefactor, it will be a long wait indeed.

I think many people would find it difficult to be able to justify the disposable income for such a computer. I don't think I really know where you're coming from. Maybe I need to go to bed. Is it possible to still be hung over at 10:30PM on a Sunday? :eek:

Deepdale said:
An unrelated issue: At this point, the major item on my mind is a possible ciytwide transit strike set to affect NYC at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning. For a town as dependent on mass transit as New York is, the results will be quite chaotic especially during Christmas week.

Okay, and it is at this point that I can only nod in agreement because I have no idea where that came from.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Sorry for your confusion. If I could have separated the last comment with a new thread I would have done so, but that feature is unavailable.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
man what a setup.....I could send some hella fast email with that.....yeah I said hella

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
wattage said:
man what a setup.....I could send some hella fast email with that.....yeah I said hella

The hella faster you send out email the faster they holla back! >_> o_O

@ Malfoy, nice set up.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
wattage said:
I could send some hella fast email with that.....

It might actually be several seconds faster than what most of the rest of us can do ... reason to buy as soon as I finish showering. :)

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Good morning/afternoon. I just woke up(mom woke me :( ). Thanks for the commentary and for a moment there I thought it was going to break into a philisophical discussion. (Sigh of relief) Yesterday was a learning experience, let me tell you. Things I learned:

1.Don't put laptops in luggage. Laptop was fine going in but didnt seem to have recognizable boot drive coming out. Must ran thru a giant magnet...

2. Mac ram slots are extremely tight. Took me like 20 mins to finally get the ram in. Why are PC slots so loose and easy to work with? Sounds like an issue of quetionable parenting...

3. Who knew that the HD had to be formatted before it could be chosen as a destination drive for the OSX recovery discs? I thought my WD drive was one of those typical DOA guys. It took me a while and even giving up before deciding to give the drive another try after I was in OS X to finally get the "drive not readable, do you want to initialize?" YAY! So I did a reinstall and order is as it should be.

4. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't like how apple mailed my stuff w/o no brown covers around it. I just don't like the idea of all the mail people knowing exactly what I'm getting. Wierd I know.

5. The PM is smaller and alot heavier than I thought. While I have seen one before, it still suprised me pulling it out the box how small it is. And the thing is just heavy!

6. The mighty mouse isn't bad. The ball is kinda interesting. It doesn't seem to work well over plain surfaces(the apple manual). The keyboard I'll have to switch up very soon.

Thing I'm still wondering about:

1. I hear talk of a power button on the keyboard. Where is it?

2. Is there a way to eject w/o the PM being on?

I think that's it for now. Other questions I'll post in the appropriate forums. Good to be back in the mac community. You guys are a fun bunch. Oh yea I need to try this 3 or 4 way isight thing later. Ever since I saw it done at one of the expos last year. I've been dying to try it out. Thanks again guys, now I go Christmas shopping. :)

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
Malfoy said:
Thanks again guys, now I go Christmas shopping. :)
You have $ left?? That rocks, I really hope you enjoy that system. I plan to have a Cinema Display w/in the next 2-3 years. I'll update everyone about that as it develops:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice setup - I'm curious as to your thoughts on the 30" LCD. I felt it was too big and I'm going to go with dual 24" - that will just work better for me.

What are you going to be doing with the G5? And why a 400 and 500 gig drive?

D

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Hey, nice. Wow. All I can say is nice. Not going to say "I'm jealous, yada yada". I agree 100% with not wanting the delivery guys seeing what gear you're getting. I was worried about that when my G5 came. Coming from a regional country town and being in one of the more well-off families here, I was worried about jealousy or bad things. (Population of town ~35 000.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.