Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2019
Hi,

I recently bought a MBA M1 (a2337) from a friend, super cheap, because the display does not work

It works just fine connected to an external display, so I've been using it that way

I do remember once or twice opening the lid to see image, but then it quickly turned off

I've seen this flexgate thing, with the flex cable being too short, and breaking. Although I mainly saw that on older models, but I guess it could be the same in this one

Also, I've seen some videos on how to fix it

Basically you can buy a new flex cable, remove the display, change the cable and that's it, but removing the display seems very hard, and I don't think I could do that without breaking it

I've seen a second method, where you get a new cable, cut that, cut the original one, and solder them together

I have done a little bit of soldering so I feel more comfortable with that approach

I was just wondering, has anyone tried it? If so, where did you find the flex cable? I've seen a few on aliexpress for 10 dollars, but don't know how legit that is

For reference this is the video I was talking about

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.