Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LasseW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2018
Sollentuna, Sweden
I have a serious screen problem on BOTH my two MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 (A1398), 2,8 GHz, 1TB. The screens have started to flicker (see photo). It flickers (mostly in the lower half of screen), then stabalizes, flickers, on and on...
Skärmavbild 2019-08-29 kl. 16.53.54.png

This problem is not visible on external monitor, has been concluded by Genius Bar to be related to the screen (only) and is independent of MacOS version and programs beeing run. Because I have the same problem on two computers it seem like this could be systematical and related to poor procuction quality and/or bad design.

I know for a fact that the screen panel in one of them is the Samsung LP154WT2-SJA1. I got this panel when the original panel was replaced bacause of "Stain Gate" problems. It failed EXACTLY one year after it was installed (in march this year). When going back to Apple-store they said that the warranty on repair (actually changing a complete component = one new screen, my rem.) is only 3 months so I have to pay for the repair myself ($800).

Because of serious time shortage and the very high cost for changing the display I bought a second used (identical) computer instead (to deal with the former computer later). Now, four months later this "new" computer has started to show EXACTLY the same problem. I do not know if the screen on the "new" computer has been changed during its life or not.

If there is anyone else out there experiencing the same problem please write about it here...

Last edited:

LasseW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2018
Sollentuna, Sweden
I would suggest you either replace the screen or use an external monitor.

To clarify... I'm not asking for a solution. To me the solution is pretty obvious since it is obviously a HW problem.

No, what I want to understand is if this is a common problem with these screens, because if that is the case i believe that Apple may have some responsibility for poor quality.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
try replace the LCD cable, you can do this by 3rd party service, Apple Authorised Service can't do this, Apple will charge you for a whole LCD even if it's only LCD cable fault

LasseW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2018
Sollentuna, Sweden
Still interested in if anyone else experienced this problem. seems very strange that I would be the only one when i I have two computers with the same fault...

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have never heard of this problem before and we have two of these models in my household and another two 2014 models and these are used daily. Is there the possibility of something in your environment causing this? An external device, power issues, EMR?

That one device has a problem that I've never heard about on these forums is an odd case. That two for the same person seems to be incredibly unlikely.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think that this problem is fairly rare on the 2014 and 2015 models but it seems to be possible with models going back the past decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.