Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
In V1 I noticed that the data source for "flights climbed" was only the iPhone and not the watch.

I was just about to ask why the watch didn't count flights of stairs when I noticed in V1.01 there are now 2 data sources. The watch is the primary source and the iPhone the secondary source.

However, if you view all data you will see that the watch has not detected a single flight of stairs. Not one.

So now you have a situation where 2 people wearing watches and climbing the same flight of stairs. The person with their iPhone in their pocket will correctly records the data and the person who's iPhone is stuck on their desk will record 0 flights of stairs climed.

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Then why is it added to the Heath app by Apple as a data source in v1.01?

I didn't add it and I can't remove it.

If you're right then it is the ONLY data source added by Apple to monitor an aspect of health that does nothing. In that case why is it there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 387

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Then why is it added to the Heath app by Apple as a data source in v1.01?

I didn't add it and I can't remove it.

If you're right then it is the ONLY data source added by Apple to monitor an aspect of health that does nothing. In that case why is it there?

The :apple:Watch does not have a barometer so it can't know altitude change to measure flights climbed. Not sure why it is included as a source for you. I have an iPhone 5S (no barometer either) and don't get any flights climbed info. Also have no sources listed.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Somebody better tell Apple then!

Again the :apple:Watch doesn't have a barometer. There is no other way to measure elevation change (except using GPS coordinates combined with known geological survey data which doesn't work inside or for stairs). In order to measure flights climbed the :apple:Watch MUST be paired with an iPhone 6/6 Plus' barometer.

You yourself say "...the watch has not detected a single flight of stairs. Not one...." which is correct because it can't.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The :apple:Watch does not have a barometer so it can't know altitude change to measure flights climbed. Not sure why it is included as a source for you. I have an iPhone 5S (no barometer either) and don't get any flights climbed info. Also have no sources listed.
I have an iPhone 6 and only it is shown as a data source in that Flights Climbed screen.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks Julien.

You make it clear. Apple doesn't.

The page you quoted doesn't say it records stairs. It is just listing activities that would get you HR up enough to count as exercise and stairs are included. Obviously :apple:Watch can't know you are playing with your kids.:D

EDIT: Just to add I hope Apple adds a barometer to the gen 2. I want this more than GPS. It is important in determining calorie burn when running in up/down elevations. Although I always have my iPhone with me and I will have a6S before a gen 2 :apple:Watch.:eek:

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Strange. I have an iPhone 6 and so does my mate and we both have the watch and iPhone option in the Heath app.

You can't manually add it yourself and it wasn't there in 1.0 so I have no idea how it got there.

You can't remove it either.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
My setup with a ver 1.01 Watch and an iPhone 6 lists the watch and the phone as a Flights Climbed data source but all the data comes from the phone.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
My setup with a ver 1.01 Watch and an iPhone 6 lists the watch and the phone as a Flights Climbed data source but all the data comes from the phone.
The Health App lists both the phone and the watch as a data source but only the iPhone 6 for flights climbed. Which makes sense because the watch couldn't supply any such data. Why it appears as a source on your's and other's phones is mysterious.

Phily

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
It is just listing activities that would get you HR up enough to count as exercise and stairs are included.

With 1.0.1. even the HR doesn't count anymore because it's only recorded when the arm is not in motion. But if you take the stairs, your arms are moving. Or you have to start an exercise for every stairs you take. This "feature" is so ridiculous. :mad:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
With 1.0.1. even the HR doesn't count anymore because it's only recorded when the arm is not in motion. But if you take the stairs, your arms are moving. Or you have to start an exercise for every stairs you take. This "feature" is so ridiculous. :mad:
I just make a manual check when I've reached the end of the stairs. Easy enough to do. I used to use a separate phone app to do it that used the camera's flash to get your heart rate. Now I can use the watch. Much more convenient.

Phily

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
I just make a manual check when I've reached the end of the stairs. Easy enough to do. I used to use a separate phone app to do it that used the camera's flash to get your heart rate. Now I can use the watch. Much more convenient.

I don't call it very convenient to check the HR manually after every stairs I take. I want my watch to do it automatically, just like in OS 1.0

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
If I'm using the stairs for an exercise session I'll just engage a workout app and then it will continuously record my HR. It may not do it the way you want but the functions are all there. I've posted this before but if tracking heart rate every 10 minutes no matter what was your only interest in this device then you grossly overpaid. There are other cheaper devices that will do that for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.