Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So I’ve ordered some parts to start the new build. I’ll be doing my first custom loop using hard line tubing. The plan is to start with the CPU as the GPU I’ve bought is a stop gap until the 2020 GPUs are released. When I’ve settled on a 2020 GPU I’ll will add that to the loop.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Now is a great time to switch. I've been using both since 2011. Windows 10 is great and amazing. I absolutely love it. I work on it all day. If Windows 10 had iMessage, photos, and Day One I'd switch yesterday.

I spent $1500 (includes cost of XPS 8930) upgrading a Dell XPS 8930 with a $300 graphics card I already had --- upgraded nvme to 1TB and added 32gb of ram. It screamed, was lag-less, super fast. It was so nice to use. I "sold it" (half off) to family. Now I want it again, badly.

Windows 10 is amazing these days.
Wha.... T? Did you say Windows 10 and amazing in the same sentence twice? Are we talking about the same Windows 10 that restarts to do updates when you’re trying to do work or just randomly deletes your documents? Or are we talking about the one that sends all kinds of information about what you’re doing on the computer back to Microsoft? Maybe you have a different version of Windows 10 than I do? I’m not saying Windows 10 is terrible or unusable but it’s definitely not "amazing" LMAO. I use it for games because many games only support Windows but for anything else I’ll stick with macOS.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Wha.... T? Did you say Windows 10 and amazing in the same sentence twice? Are we talking about the same Windows 10 that restarts to do updates when you’re trying to do work or just randomly deletes your documents? Or are we talking about the one that sends all kinds of information about what you’re doing on the computer back to Microsoft? Maybe you have a different version of Windows 10 than I do? I’m not saying Windows 10 is terrible or unusable but it’s definitely not "amazing" LMAO. I use it for games because many games only support Windows but for anything else I’ll stick with macOS.

I've tried switching to Windows, but I simply can't. I don't like it. At all. But I do love Linux.
But bashing others opinions because they don't think and feel like you do? For what?

Someone can think Windows 10 is amazing. What's wrong with that?
I see a lot of folks on this subforum loving windows. If it works for them - that's great. It doesn't ruin your love for any other OS.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I've tried switching to Windows, but I simply can't. I don't like it. At all. But I do love Linux.
But bashing others opinions because they don't think and feel like you do? For what?

I see a lot of folks on this subforum loving windows. If it works for them - that's great. It doesn't ruin your love for any other OS.
I don’t think I was bashing anyone’s opinion but rather stating my own experiences and difference of options. I’m not against anyone thinking anything. There are people out there that think eating snails is awesome. That doesn’t mean if someone says they sucked down a whole snail I’m going say how awesome that sounds. I’ll say it sounds gross because that's what I think ?

Reactions: iMi and BigMcGuire

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I don’t think I was bashing anyone’s opinion but rather stating my own experiences and difference of options. I’m not against anyone thinking anything. There are people out there that think eating snails is awesome. That doesn’t mean if someone says they sucked down a whole snail I’m going say how awesome that sounds. I’ll say it sounds gross because that's what I think ?
Stop. Insulting Windows is one thing but now you are going after the poor escargot ?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I think Windows 10 is actually pretty nice and fast. My only problem is when I try to switch fully to Windows I run into a lot of problems with handling PDFs. In my work I handle a lot of PDFs and editing them and signing them and everything else and in macOS it is just so simple and easy to handle PDFs, especially with PDF Expert. On Windows it just becomes a disaster. Plus there are just a lot of nice little features that make my workflow faster on macOS. For example, something as simple as being able to have tabs in Finder, or everything being drag and droppable, like quickly dragging files into an email.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Hey Russell - no worries. I did. lol. I grew up on Dos, 3.11. I actually typed on Windows 1.3 on a 286 as a child. My first login was Windows 95 on a 200mb partition (deleting text files to get enough space to install games). I spent a lot of time on Windows NT, 2000, XP, 7, and 10. I know Windows like the back of my hand (I'm a .net programmer / manager by trade).

I love Windows 10. While the half assed attempt at the Windows 10 settings still annoys me, at least they left the old control panel alone (for now). I like dark mode, I like the stability of Windows 10 - the speed. Updates aren't too bad. Yes, they force them now - even on Server 2012 R2 and 2016. lol. But I think that's a good thing because you had too many unpatched servers out there just getting hacked to ****.

When I use Amazing, it's coming from my lifelong experience with Windows. I personally use Mac OS at home because I love the simplicity, stability, iMessage, photos, Safari putting in bank codes automatically, etc, the readability of the text.

But people tell me I'm an overly optimistic guy. I think you got me here. :)

Yeah, I have to use Windows for Starcraft II. Metal on Mac OS with Starcraft II just isn't ... that great for Blizzard games.

Oh don't worry, it is really hard to offend me. Russel is more than welcome to be astounded at my statements. Ahaha I said stuff like that all the time to annoy a Linux loving former coworker of mine :).

You're good. <barfs> Yeah, more power to those who love snails. <cough gag cough>. lol.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So I’ve ordered some parts to start the new build. I’ll be doing my first custom loop using hard line tubing. The plan is to start with the CPU as the GPU I’ve bought is a stop gap until the 2020 GPUs are released. When I’ve settled on a 2020 GPU I’ll will add that to the loop.

I'm very tempted to build my own Windows desktop again after those photos. <sigh>. Last PC I built by hand was 2011. It's still being used today by family. :)
[automerge]1583515561[/automerge]
after my 2017 MBP keyboard...

I haven't known anyone outside of these forums having issues with their keyboard .... until a month ago when my sister started getting repeating keys on her 2019 MBA. She took it to Apple, they did a "cleaning" - after she got home she sent me a video of it still happening. Lightly press a key and you get ttt tttt etc. I think it was the T key. Apple promised they'd replace her keyboard if she brought it back again but she doesn't want to be without her laptop because she uses it for school.

Kinda sad on such an expensive device. My wife and I spent $$$$ on our 2017 MBPs and while we don't have problems, we wonder if/when we will. 2 years later we're still going strong. Shouldn't have to worry about a keyboard on a nearly $3k device.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just curious -- what's your stop gap GPU?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Pretty darn nice stop gap!

Yea I don't know how long I'll be keeping it, but I suspect the earliest will be towards the end of the year. I'm aiming for a £600-700 GPU when prices have settled down.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Just built a new workstation (Ryzen 7 3700X, 5700XT, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe) since I dont want to use my Macbook Pro as a desktop all the time.

But yea, I already hate windows. For gaming it's fine, but productive stuff, hell nah.
I'm also not a fan of a hackintosh, So I guess I have to use windows.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Yea I don't know how long I'll be keeping it, but I suspect the earliest will be towards the end of the year. I'm aiming for a £600-700 GPU when prices have settled down.

The next line up of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are supposedly much more powerful than the current offering so I think your timing will work out well.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Just built a new workstation (Ryzen 7 3700X, 5700XT, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe) since I dont want to use my Macbook Pro as a desktop all the time.

But yea, I already hate windows. For gaming it's fine, but productive stuff, hell nah.
I'm also not a fan of a hackintosh, So I guess I have to use windows.

I find Windows really good for what I do. Chrome is better than Safari and MS Office runs much better than on Mac OS.

The next line up of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are supposedly much more powerful than the current offering so I think your timing will work out well.

Exactly, so I didn't see any point going all out on the GPU and getting a waterblock only to find thew new GPUs are faster at a lower price point. Something like a 3080 in my custom loop will be tasty!

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Started to put things together. Pretty excited!

DSCF8233.jpg

DSCF8236.jpg

DSCF8237.jpg

DSCF8242.jpg

DSCF8244.jpg

Reactions: iMi and BigMcGuire

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Some progress photos of the build

Arty build shot across some boxes
:)

DSCF8246.jpg

Top off for rad fitting. So handy.
DSCF8250.jpg

Snug fitting there.
DSCF8252.jpg

Good job I went for low profile RAM 2mm gap.
DSCF8253.jpg

Coming together now.
DSCF8254.jpg

DSCF8258.jpg

Just enough room for a 15mm fan at the back.
DSCF8259.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Some progress photos of the build

Arty build shot across some boxes
:)

DSCF8246.jpg

Top off for rad fitting. So handy.
DSCF8250.jpg

Snug fitting there.
DSCF8252.jpg

Good job I went for low profile RAM 2mm gap.
DSCF8253.jpg

Coming together now.
DSCF8254.jpg

DSCF8258.jpg

Just enough room for a 15mm fan at the back.
DSCF8259.jpg
Amazing.
Cool build and great photography.

I would love to build myself something like this -- I've built PCs before but don't have the time or patience anymore. Nor do I have a good workspace where I can spread everything out and work without worrying about scratching the finish of the table, etc.

So instead of building one myself, I just bought myself a Dell G5 with an i7-9700K (with Dell's factory overclock to the 4.4GHz range), an nVidia 2070 Super, 16GB of RAM, and a 512GB NVMe SSD. I have another 16GB of RAM and a 4TB HDD waiting for the PC to arrive. They were having a sale, so I pulled the trigger.

This will probably be the last desktop/workstation I'll have to buy for several years.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Amazing.
Cool build and great photography.

I would love to build myself something like this -- I've built PCs before but don't have the time or patience anymore. Nor do I have a good workspace where I can spread everything out and work without worrying about scratching the finish of the table, etc.

So instead of building one myself, I just bought myself a Dell G5 with an i7-9700K (with Dell's factory overclock to the 4.4GHz range), an nVidia 2070 Super, 16GB of RAM, and a 512GB NVMe SSD. I have another 16GB of RAM and a 4TB HDD waiting for the PC to arrive. They were having a sale, so I pulled the trigger.

This will probably be the last desktop/workstation I'll have to buy for several years.

Yup. I went to a local computer shop and asked them to build me a desktop because of this thread. Probably the last desktop I buy for another 8 years or so. Amd everything.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
She's up and running nicely. Had a chance to get a fan curve in so now it's very quiet. Still lot of micro bubbles in the water but I'm sure they will go over time.

Some more photos of the build and a few completed photos.

First bit of tubing done before it goes into the case. A drain port as well.
DSCF8269.jpg

Fill port to the top. Decided to use the inlet on the top otherwise it would mean a run right infront of the res to use the bottom inlet. I may change this round when I get a GPU in the loop.
DSCF8273.jpg

Leak test time.
DSCF8281.jpg

All done until I add a GPU later in the year.
DSCF8286.jpg

Really happy with the tubing runs.
DSCF8287.jpg

Crossflow rad helps to keep things tidy.
DSCF8290.jpg

Some tasteful RGB.
DSCF8296.jpg

Temps seem good, I've had as low as 29 and as high as 71, but still maintaining a low fan RPM.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Small update, I returned the Aorus 5700 XT which I paid 380 for, and picked up a used reference 5700 XT for 250, then bought water block and back plate for it. So in total it cost the same, but now my GPU is cool and quiet. I did have to make some changes to the loop, but I could also add in the X570 chipset water block to eliminate the last fan.

Drain port worked well, I did have to tip the case a little to help remove some extra fluid.
DSCF8311.jpg

Loop drained and connectors removed ready to remove the motherboard. Removed the return on the top of the res as this will be moved to the bottom inlet.
DSCF8314.jpg

The X570 chipset that is just asking for a water block.
DSCF8318.jpg

Time to void the warranty and get this guy under water.
DSCF8319.jpg

Many screws.
DSCF8324.jpg

The TIM was very dry and crusty.
DSCF8326.jpg

Block attached, back plate pads going on.
DSCF8327.jpg

The new loop is in, time for some leak testing.
DSCF8330.jpg

Done.
DSCF8332.jpg

Chipset block tucked under the GPU.
DSCF8335.jpg

Panel off, photo from across the desk.
DSCF8339.jpg

DSCF8341.jpg

Got the wider lens out.
DSCF8347.jpg

Love the texture of the back plate.
DSCF8355.jpg

Panel on.
DSCF8357.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.