Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreyesjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Does anyone know of a FM transmitter app that I can use to listen to my music/ internet radio from my cell phone thru my car radio.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Apps can only make use of features that exist in hardware. There is no FM radio in an iPhone, so no app can do this.

There are adaptors out there that charge the iphone from a cigarette lighter and broadcast to the radio in your car for pretty cheap. You could also use this as a great excuse to put in a new car radio with a USB plug on the front. I have a pioneer in my car for bluetooth, iPhone music, charging, and GPS through the speakers.

If you do go this route, do NOT buy a pioneer. They are glitchy as hell with iPhones. JVC radios get good praise around here.

If you want an FM transmitter, you can see if an apple store would have one, or just walk into any radio shack, best buy, etc and ask.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Both Belkin and Griffin have one on the cheap. No more than $30, and work well over a frequency in your car. I have one from Velkin that plays anything on my phone, from the music app to YouTube/jasmine, to the LiveATC app. Best buy, target, Walmart, etc. should have them.

BL.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There are adaptors out there that charge the iphone from a cigarette lighter and broadcast to the radio in your car for pretty cheap.
There are also aftermarket interfaces for many factory stereos though their pricing is quite often close to the cost of a new head unit with better specs, features and a built-in interface. Options for all of these topics are frequently discussed in the Accessories subforum.

Most FM transmitters don't work very well -- especially in large cities with crowded FM. Even when they do work, audio quality is significantly compromised. That said, there are those that are happy with them.

moneymike0284

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
I'll try an get you a link to my fm transmitter. I got it on newegg for $40 an it works great. Plugs into the cig lighter and is Bluetooth so you don't need to plug your phone in unless you need to charge. I've had no issues with it and I've had it a few months.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Most FM transmitters don't work very well -- especially in large cities with crowded FM. Even when they do work, audio quality is significantly compromised. That said, there are those that are happy with them.
^ This.

FM Transmitters do work if you aren't in a crowded city, they just don't work all that well. If you don't care about audio quality then it'll do the job for cheap. Just don't expect good results.

Personally, Id save the money and get a proper head unit (Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, or even a Dual if you're on a tight budget) that'll let you plug your iDevice into the USB port or, at the very least, stream over Bluetooth (audio quality won't be as good but much better than FM transmitter) or plug into an AUX port.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm using a GoGroove Bluetooth receiver/FM Transmitter in my SUV. It also works as my handsfree with the caller coming through the radio. I was displeased with the sound at first, but figured out that the A2DP output on my phone was overdriving the GoGroove. Setting the phone's BT volume out to about 2/3 works well.

Here in the Baltimore/DC area the FM band is pretty crowded and there's only a couple of spots on the "dial" that work well. Got lucky in that respect.

I didn't want to change out the stock head unit but that's a better way to go if you don't mind the look.

badluckcure

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
San Francisco
iphone 5 fm transmitter app

I wanted to use my new iphone5 on my car, but I don't want to change my stock deck, since I like the look and sound of the stock radio. I don't have bluetooth, but I do want to add some kind of hands free so I can talk and drive without holding the stupid iphone with my hands and ear.

I googled "iphone 5 fm transmitter", I found the "best fm transmitter for iphone 5" watched the youtube video. I like it, and I got one.

After a week of use, I like it. If you want to keep the stock radio on your car, but use your phone on your car this may be the best way to go. I like this one.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apps can only make use of features that exist in hardware. There is no FM radio in an iPhone, so no app can do this.

There are adaptors out there that charge the iphone from a cigarette lighter and broadcast to the radio in your car for pretty cheap. You could also use this as a great excuse to put in a new car radio with a USB plug on the front. I have a pioneer in my car for bluetooth, iPhone music, charging, and GPS through the speakers.

If you do go this route, do NOT buy a pioneer. They are glitchy as hell with iPhones. JVC radios get good praise around here.

If you want an FM transmitter, you can see if an apple store would have one, or just walk into any radio shack, best buy, etc and ask.
What's wrong with your Pioneer. Mine works fantastic with my iPhone over Bluetooth.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
When connected via USB: Music isn't always what the track data says, I cannot scroll through the list of music smoothly, I get error 19 and have to disconnect and reconnect all the time. My old pioneer did this too.

When connected via bluetooth: The reception goes in an out. It worked fine on my old flip phones.

Will houghmaster

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
Does anyone know of a FM transmitter app that I can use to listen to my music/ internet radio from my cell phone thru my car radio.
[doublepost=1498504214][/doublepost]So i am looking for the same thing I need to find an app that allows me to play my YouTube music through the car speakers so I don't have to buy a fm transmitter since I don't have a tape player only a CD player... Help me plZ

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
A lot has changed since 2013...but not this.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying you have. Do you have an FM radio in your car? And no AUX input or USB iPod type connection?

If that's the case, you option is a combination bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter.

I got one similar to this one at Amazon. Been working fine for a while. Previously, I had a couple in the $35 range that didn't work any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.