Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I would like to find an FM transmitter and car charger that....
1. Plugs in the bottom of my iPhone as opposed to a dock so I don't have to take off the case.
2. Can go into the International Mode so I can access the lower unused frequencies.

The Griffin iTrip Auto for iphone (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto)

is exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't find any info if it can be programed to get into the International Mode by holding down one of the buttons. Does anyone have this and can get into that mode? I know the older iTrip ones can, but from what I've read on Amazon, they won't charge an iPhone.

Any other suggestions as far as brands that will do what I'm looking for??

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I have that transmitter, and when I plug it in it says it's not compatible with the iphone and asks if I want to put it in airplane mode. I hit "no" and it works perfectly and it does charge.

I don't know what international mode is, but if you want to tell me how to do it, I can check it out and get back to you.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Sparrky, apparently Griffin makes 2 versions of iTrip auto. Which one do you have? If you go to that link in my original post, you'll notice that there are 2 options when ordering. I believe that the one for the iPhone is 10 dollars more ....$69. And as far as the "international mode" goes, here's a quote from someone with an older version of the iTrip from Amazon.....

"Before you buy, go to your car and make sure you can set your radio to 87.9 frequency or lower. If you can, they you can use this UNused setting. No US radio station is allowed to transmit on this frequency. If you can set your car radio to this, then BUY either the product on this page or the other Griffin iTrip (with the standard headphone connector). I have both, and they BOTH use the SAME instructions.

First, plug in the iTrip. You Have two buttons - a larger +/- button and a smaller button that will either have "Select" or "Preset" written on it.

Hold down the smaller button for 10-15 sec. At first the display will flash "2" or some other number. Ignore that. Just keep waiting. Then the display will flash "DX" or "LX". Use the +/- to change to LX (non stereo mode). Press the smaller button and the selection is saved.

Now for International Mode (to get the stations below 88.1).

Hold down the smaller button for 10-15 sec. At first the display will flash "2" or some other number. Ignore that. Just keep waiting. Then the display will flash "DX" or "LX". IGNORE THIS ALSO, JUST KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE SMALL BUTTON. The display will change to "US" Use the +/- to change to INTL mode. Press the smaller button and the selection is saved.

With my iTrip set to LX and INTL I now set both the car and the iTrip to 87.9. I use the iTrip instructions to save this as a preset. I also set one of the buttons on my car radio to the same.

When I use my iPod, the sound is crystal clear, I do NOT need to adjust the car radio to super-high volume. It is perfect. However, iTrip no longer comes with instructions to set to INTL mode, nor could I find these instructions on their website or on the web. So ... print this, get this and you will have a five star experience!"

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
From personal experience I'd stay away from them all. I don't find they provide good enough quality for me, no matter what frequence I use.

I've now got a new stereo that's ipod compatible, and it's much better.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Just to close out this thread, I should let everyone know that I purchased the itrip auto, checked it out up and down in the parking lot at Best Buy and returned it 20 minutes later. It's a piece of crap. Just for comparison sake, I put my iphone in my 3 year old Griffin RoadTrip and the FM strength was like night and day. The RoadTrip overpowers even the strongest radio stations in my area and the itrip never even came close. When I was able to hear the music, it was unlistenable and full of static (and I went all the way up and down the dial. I litterally went a fraction at a time to see if I could just find one decent frequency to listen with). The FCC must've clamped down on these products lately. They have a fraction of the power they used to. I would just use the RoadTrip, but it won't charge the iphone ...... man, it's always something, isn't it??!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.