Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gary757

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
I just have the griffin itrip, and it works great.

I ordered an "iTrip Auto" as soon as I bought my Touch last month. It's basically a cable with a cigarette lighter plug on one end, the Dock connector on the other end and the FM transmitter in the middle. The upshot is that you can listen to your iPod in the car over FM without draining the battery.

Pros:
+ Very clean design.
+ Black. I feel a little safer leaving the adapter plugged into the car. White cables are more tell-tale and say "probably an ipod in this car. time to smash-n-grab." (I never leave the actual ipod in the car, however.)

Cons:
- Line level audio is too soft.

Ended up giving the iTrip Auto to my girlfriend, since she had no problems using it in her car with her 3G Nano. I went back to using a cassette adapter but I'm back in the market for a car charger/FM kit again since we've replaced the factory stereo with a DVD/Navi (but no AUX in :( )

Thinking about the Universal iTrip Auto, which is very similar but plugs into the headphone jack and has a female USB port for charging any USB-chargeable player.

SpeksETC

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
I bought one that is compatible with all mp3 players (plugs in via the headphone jack).
Then you never have to worry about compatibility issues now and in the future, and if someone else has a different type of mp3 player, they can use it.

I especially like ones that the display is on the piece that you stick into the lighter, since it is easier to use and less pieces and wires going through your car.

rvittori

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
iTrip

I loved the original iTrip that plugged into the headphone jack. I have one on my iPod 4G. I have two of the newer iTrips that work with the Dock connector. I would not buy them again. They interfere with cases and covers. The line out through the Dock connector is too weak. It's not loud enough. I will be purchasing a new iTrip universal that works through the head phone jack soon. If you do buy the Dock connector version, it works better in international mode and with sound check on the iPod turned off.

vividdemise

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
I just picked up a cheap ($3.00) transmitter form ecxerds.. works better then my one a picked up for $100 form my cellphone store. got it just for work couse i can trash stuff Pretty well at work. now I can put my ipod in my custom made plexy glass case in my tool bag and attach this and get a nice sound out a small boom box anywhere in the apartment im working on. its not perfect but it works.

rvittori

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
Bought the iTrip Universal

I loved the original iTrip that plugged into the headphone jack. I have one on my iPod 4G. I have two of the newer iTrips that work with the Dock connector. I would not buy them again. They interfere with cases and covers. The line out through the Dock connector is too weak. It's not loud enough. I will be purchasing a new iTrip universal that works through the head phone jack soon. If you do buy the Dock connector version, it works better in international mode and with sound check on the iPod turned off.
IMHO the iTrip Universal is much better then the iTrip or iTrip Auto. I just bought it today and it is as good or better then the original one I got years ago. I still need to figure out how to convert it to international mode so I can use 87.9 as my frequency. I highly recomend the universal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.