Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jccutz

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Hi, I ended up really liking the X. Was able to sell the 8 Plus for pretty much what I paid for it. A couple of months later, I’m glad it worked out, and very happy with the X. The X did take a few days to get used to, the size was an adjustment. Good luck with your choice!
[doublepost=1516068991][/doublepost]

I had bought the 8 Plus before the X was out.

Thanks for any input.. I like them both alot.. Maybe I can give some reasons and you can give a more extensive opinion. this goes for anyone that is reading this to chime in. I love the way the x feels in the hand. Tall and skinny vs wider display. I dont like that I feel like the video has to be pinched to zoom on the x and at times you wind up missing certain things that get cut off. The 8 plus is great for video and gaming. I am hoping as more apps get optimized the games are fun on the x. My biggest fear was getting used to the size of the screen and battery life. I bought a battery case so it seems to last all day but its a bit thicker now. I like the x with a thin case on it. It feels great in the hand. All in all I am not sure which route to go. X is the phone of the future. I do not think they are going to make the 8/8 plus model design again this coming year. Its just a span if I can feel like the x is not too small. Sorry for rambling. I have till saturday to make a decision. It is either keep both and have the best of both worlds and pay 23 dollars more a month or just keep the 8 plus and always wonder if I made the wrong choice.. any input is welcomed..

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for any input.. I like them both alot.. Maybe I can give some reasons and you can give a more extensive opinion. this goes for anyone that is reading this to chime in. I love the way the x feels in the hand.

That's pretty much why I bought the X: I have used my mother's 8+ quite a bit and I just don't like the way it feels in my hand. However in both hands the 8+ is awesome! I just prefer a one-handed iPhone with dual cameras, and for me personally the X is still a bit of a stretch. It's just not as much of a stretch as the 8+.

Tall and skinny vs wider display. I dont like that I feel like the video has to be pinched to zoom on the x and at times you wind up missing certain things that get cut off. The 8 plus is great for video and gaming. I am hoping as more apps get optimized the games are fun on the x.

I don't do much gaming or video viewing on my iPhone. I do that on my iPad. So far most of the apps I use have been optimized to take advantage of the extra room on the X display. I really enjoy the extra height for some apps. Other times I can see the advantage of the extra width on the 8+, but again if I'm doing any extended content viewing it is probably on my iPad.

My biggest fear was getting used to the size of the screen and battery life. I bought a battery case so it seems to last all day but its a bit thicker now. I like the x with a thin case on it. It feels great in the hand. All in all I am not sure which route to go. X is the phone of the future. I do not think they are going to make the 8/8 plus model design again this coming year. Its just a span if I can feel like the x is not too small. Sorry for rambling. I have till saturday to make a decision. It is either keep both and have the best of both worlds and pay 23 dollars more a month or just keep the 8 plus and always wonder if I made the wrong choice.. any input is welcomed..

I have yet to see the X battery dip below 20% by the end of the day. Maybe if I used my iPhone more for entertainment the battery life would be more of a concern? Have you tried a wireless charger? Those are awfully convenient. If you had a wireless charging pad or stand on your desk or countertop, and popped your iPhone on that a few times a day, I doubt battery life would ever be an issue. The battery cases I see as being useful only if you spend a lot of time in the field, away from a charging source.

Anyway, it's a tough call. Both are great iPhones, but only you know which one is the best choice for you. Good luck!

Jccutz

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
You bring up such valid points.. Does anyone on here watch videos or game on the X on a daily basis that can give their opinion if its just as enjoyable as the plus models

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an X and an 8. I originally planned to get the X, but decided I wanted the 8 after seeing it in the Apple store and loving the gold color. Then I got caught up in the hype of the X and after looking at it in the Apple store several times decided to get it thinking I most likely would return it. Well that didn't happen and the X is the phone I use, but I kept the 8. Well past the 2 week period of return I was still trying to decide which phone I preferred. Instead of selling the 8 at a loss I'm keeping it as a back-up (my version of Apple Care). I like the smaller, lighter 8, but I love the larger screen on the X - beautiful and so much easier to read.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Ides of March

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Where the bullet comes....
You bring up such valid points.. Does anyone on here watch videos or game on the X on a daily basis that can give their opinion if its just as enjoyable as the plus models

Yeah me. I had an X, good phone, great battery. But too small for me. I had a 6plus and loved it. I watch you tube and Netflix alot and play games on my phone quite a bit. I mentioned this in a previous post in another thread but when I watched Netflix and turned the phone to watch, and zoomed in it cut the top of the people's heads off. That bothered me. And if you don't fill in the screen then what's the point using the X right. Might as well use the 8. I felt like the 8 plus and the width of the phone and yes the bezels and whatever, but it filled the screen out and it looked like a better viewing experience than that on the X. Game wise same thing. NBA 2k18 was alot better playing on the 8 plus and so was Elder Scrolls legends. It just looks better to me wider rather than long and thinner. That reminded me of the Iphone 5 and made my stomach turn......

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I've gone back and forth and for me to 8 Plus wins. I prefer my 16x9 aspect ratio and for me touchID works better than FaceID. I can afford the price of the X but I don't feel like it's worth the price of admission, IMO. Nothing new or ground breaking that justifies and extra $200 from my standpoint.

Reactions: Wide opeN

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Get two beers. Return the one you like less.

I think I went through something like this once: I bought two beers and tried them both. I had a slight preference for one over the other. But how can you really say which is better? Apples to oranges (or in this case lagers to ales)... it's all about personal preference. Anyway, I start drinking the one I like the most... or wait, maybe I like it more because it's served in one of those cool tulip shaped glasses? It feels so nice in the hand... anyway I decide to see what the folks on the beer forums think. Should I return one? Would I be able to sell it for more to someone who doesn't want to wait in line for the barkeep? Should I keep the second pint in case I accidentally drop my first? Taking out my iphone, I snap pics of both beers and post. By the time half the pint is drained, the thread has 137 responses. Most said I should keep the first beer. Good, because it's half gone. Others think I should keep the second. A small percentage of posts got off onto a tangential argument as to whether or not a tulip shaped glass was really the proper choice for the one I'm currently drinking. It hasn't ended, but someone has already called someone else a Nazi so I think we are close to the moderators shutting it down.

I've still got 1/3 of the first pint left and I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse. I try to sell the second pint to someone else around me, but nobody wants a pint that's been sitting there for 10 minutes or so when the line to the bar has gotten shorter. I didn't tell them I had also already taken a sip. It's practically new! As I near the bottom of the first pint, I start to doubt my decision anyway. What if I was looking at this all wrong, and I really did want the other pint more? I got lost in my thoughts and pondered this question very seriously, until I realized I was halfway through the second pint. I guess I was thirsty...

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
first I bought an iPhone 8 plus and now after 2 months, finally I got my iPhone X, after awhile they both feels great but sure I choose iPhone X as my daily driver along with samsung galaxy note 8, and my iPhone 8 plus now been use by my wife along with her samsung galaxy note FE.

iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X they both great phones, but now I have been get used by "swipping bottom screen" and it is a great new experience

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Get two beers. Return the one you like less.

If one of the bottles opens when he looks at it, he'll know he has a winner. ;)
[doublepost=1516148307][/doublepost]
I think I went through something like this once: I bought two beers and tried them both. I had a slight preference for one over the other. But how can you really say which is better? Apples to oranges (or in this case lagers to ales)... it's all about personal preference. Anyway, I start drinking the one I like the most... or wait, maybe I like it more because it's served in one of those cool tulip shaped glasses? It feels so nice in the hand... anyway I decide to see what the folks on the beer forums think. Should I return one? Would I be able to sell it for more to someone who doesn't want to wait in line for the barkeep? Should I keep the second pint in case I accidentally drop my first? Taking out my iphone, I snap pics of both beers and post. By the time half the pint is drained, the thread has 137 responses. Most said I should keep the first beer. Good, because it's half gone. Others think I should keep the second. A small percentage of posts got off onto a tangential argument as to whether or not a tulip shaped glass was really the proper choice for the one I'm currently drinking. It hasn't ended, but someone has already called someone else a Nazi so I think we are close to the moderators shutting it down.

I've still got 1/3 of the first pint left and I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse. I try to sell the second pint to someone else around me, but nobody wants a pint that's been sitting there for 10 minutes or so when the line to the bar has gotten shorter. I didn't tell them I had also already taken a sip. It's practically new! As I near the bottom of the first pint, I start to doubt my decision anyway. What if I was looking at this all wrong, and I really did want the other pint more? I got lost in my thoughts and pondered this question very seriously, until I realized I was halfway through the second pint. I guess I was thirsty...

Seriously great writing...BUT...talking to some of the staff in restaurants around here, your post is less fictional than I would have believed.

Reactions: sean000

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
first I bought an iPhone 8 plus and now after 2 months, finally I got my iPhone X, after awhile they both feels great but sure I choose iPhone X as my daily driver along with samsung galaxy note 8, and my iPhone 8 plus now been use by my wife along with her samsung galaxy note FE.

iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X they both great phones, but now I have been get used by "swipping bottom screen" and it is a great new experience

I think Gesture controls are the real future for Navigating though the user interface . Face ID is Apples future in biometric security. Both of these features will migrate to the iPad line. They have a lot of potential, but they need more maturing, at least Face ID does.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I'm supposed to sell my 6s plus to make some cash back..
decided to keep it. I need it to watch movies. I love my X, but enjoy the plus when I don't want to use my iPad.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think Gesture controls are the real future for Navigating though the user interface . Face ID is Apples future in biometric security. Both of these features will migrate to the iPad line. They have a lot of potential, but they need more maturing, at least Face ID does.

That was my 'take' after five weeks. Some of the gestures are eerily transparent, but others are quite bad and really detract from the user experience. I think it's a dead-nuts certainty that Apple will iron out most of those over the next 12-36 months, which is a good thing because I also think that TouchID has probably fallen below its stall speed.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
So I did not like the X. I did not like the notch. I did not like the narrower aspect ratio. I did not like that the battery life is shorter than the 8 Plus. What does anyone with that much dislike do? They get an 8 Plus of course.

Just to see it in person, to confirm my dislike... long story short, I actually like the X and there was a Silver 256 that I could have.

So not I have two iPhones and can’t decide which to keep.

UGH!
I’ll take either one! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.