Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abcd-abcd

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Whenever my Mac Pro sleeps & re-wakes, my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 mk1 audio interface doesn't wake up properly. It's receiving power i.e. lights up (48v is present), but the audio is not present & it makes funny whining noises. This has been happening for years...

My sub-standard solution is: before sleeping the Mac Pro I disconnect the 2i2, then re-connect it when the Mac Pro is waking up again. Occasionally this works ok. Unfortunately more often than not, it doesn't, in which case I have to keep plugging/unplugging the USB cable (20 times? 30 sometimes) until it wakes up. It drives me nuts. But that is the only solution, it seems.

I contacted Focusrite, who kindly offered to 'repair' it for more than the cost of a new one.

It's almost as though I need to restart the usb bus - flush it - in order to make it connect properly. Anyone out there with the same problem? Or even a solution? That would be wonderful.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Sense it as Intel Mac don’t keep plugging and unplugged USP cables and try a powered Hub to see if it works better! Plus you always reset the Intel Mac ports by preform a Reset NVRAM or PRAMM on your Mac and letting it to restart three time while holding down the keys then let it restart normally and that will reset the USB controllers in Intel Mac!

Last edited:

abcd-abcd

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Thanks #satcomer. What do you mean by "Sense it as Intel Mac don’t keep plugging and unplugged USP cables"

However, I'll try an NVram reset, though I don't hold out much hope! Cheers.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I say this because sometime USA power can be spotty at best and during load times the electricity goes down for a moment! Plus if you have carpets with Winter weather can cause static cling to your ports, over the year the NRAM seem to reset the controller chips inside you Mac with the double restart!

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
It's almost as though I need to restart the usb bus - flush it - in order to make it connect properly. Anyone out there with the same problem? Or even a solution? That would be wonderful.

I don't know if this helps, I had a similar issue with my focusrite 2i4 / GarageBand / (Big Sur 11.3) - it would get erratic and I would unplug USB and reconnect - then it would work for a while - it turned out to be SoundSource app which I have been using for years to switch audio input and outputs - once I closed (shut down) SoundSource and manually made the Audio connections it works fine.

Might be worth trying with “blue tooth off“ in case you have any wireless devices that can try to connect to audio while you are recording?

just my 2 cents - lol - FWIW

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.