Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Can anyone recommend a foldable Bluetooth keyboard based on personal use for an iPad? I'm on the lookout for one but not interested in non portable keyboards or keyboard cases. Only consideration is a good, tactile key feel.

superpepino

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
Foldable Bluetooth Keyboard

I HIGHLY recommend the Microsoft Universal Keyboard, it's super portable that folds for easier portability, the keys feel great, and the best part is that the stand where you place your iPad can actually be detached because of magnets so you can use the keyboard with your iPad from a further distance if you'd like. Ive been using it for school and I absolutely love it!

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Thanks. I hadn't seen that one before but it is bigger than I would like. I would prefer something more portable or pocket able.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Thanks all.
I ended up picking up the folding Bluetooth keyboard from EC Technology. I've written up a review below and I'm currently test driving the Microsoft UMK recommended in this thread and I'll share my feedback in a bit.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1843445/

Just looking at folding keyboards, I used to have a ThinkOutside Stowaway way back in 2002 with my Palm and took many notes on it. Looking for something similar to pair up with my iPad that's on order to take into meetings.

Is this EC still holding up to being a good portable keyboard? The ThinkOutside ones were great as they had laptop sized keyboards but folded up really small. The travel and typing experience is really important - given i'm not the worlds best typist anyway..

If you have any comparisons against the Apple wireless keyboard, which I'd choose if it folded (!), that would be appreciated.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Is this EC still holding up to being a good portable keyboard? The ThinkOutside ones were great as they had laptop sized keyboards but folded up really small. The travel and typing experience is really important - given i'm not the worlds best typist anyway..

If you have any comparisons against the Apple wireless keyboard, which I'd choose if it folded (!), that would be appreciated.

Yes, this is still my go to mobile keyboard and its working great for me, so much so that two work colleagues have since purchased one. I had two previous TO keyboards, the black one with four sections that folded up but needed to be used on a flat surface and the later aluminium one that had two sections that slid and folded out. The EC model is probably similar to the latter TO aluminium keyboard. I've tried a few mobile keyboards of late and this is my favourite of the foldable ones.

I compare the size against the Apple wireless keyboard in the video review posted in this thread.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Yes, this is still my go to mobile keyboard and its working great for me, so much so that two work colleagues have since purchased one. I had two previous TO keyboards, the black one with four sections that folded up but needed to be used on a flat surface and the later aluminium one that had two sections that slid and folded out. The EC model is probably similar to the latter TO aluminium keyboard. I've tried a few mobile keyboards of late and this is my favourite of the foldable ones.

I compare the size against the Apple wireless keyboard in the video review posted in this thread.

Thanks; I had both of those as well. Will watch your video review later but think I'm sold!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.