Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunbowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Whangarei
So I updated to Yosemite on my 27" Mac, I love it but only have one issue that keeps bugging me.

The Folder thumbnails aren't showing? They work for default ones in the HomeDrive and all that, but don't even show up in Applications except utilities etc

NORMAL thumbnails for files, documents, pictures are working fine

I've tried changing the views, restarting and all but no luck. Does anyone else have this?

LoALDyA.png

HOGr8AD.png

Last edited:

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
what version did you install? DP1? I know DP1 had some icon issues, so make sure you run through software update a few times to ensure that you are up to date.

shaunbowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Whangarei
what version did you install? DP1? I know DP1 had some icon issues, so make sure you run through software update a few times to ensure that you are up to date.

Not sure, tried Software Update a few times but no luck.

Try repairing permissions, then restarting.
I'm a newbie to Mac, how you do that?

Check Activity Monitor and see if IconServicesAgent is running at 90%+ CPU, if it does follow this:
http://www.drjackyl.de/?p=408

Will check when I'm home thanks :)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'm a newbie to Mac, how you do that?

Open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), select the hard drive/partition you're having trouble with (The one you're booted on, it's probably called Macintosh HD or just HD.) on the left and then on the "First Aid" tab click "Repair Disk Permissions". Let me know if you have any trouble.

shaunbowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Whangarei
Open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), select the hard drive/partition you're having trouble with (The one you're booted on, it's probably called Macintosh HD or just HD.) on the left and then on the "First Aid" tab click "Repair Disk Permissions". Let me know if you have any trouble.

I tried this but it didn't work, did fix my login screen though since it was pixelated / uplarged but good now. Thanks! :)

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
do the manual version

How to Clear Cache Files on a Mac Manually
Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
Highlight everything and press Command-Backspace.
Restart your machine so that your apps and system can generate new, fresh caches.
Repeat the same steps but substitute ~/Library/Caches with /Library/Caches (note the lack of the “~” symbol, which, in technical-jargon, acts as a shortcut path to your home folder). Also note: We recommend that you remove the insides of these folders, but not the folders themselves.

Clear Caches on a Mac Library

Make sure that once you have finished clearing out these caches for additional hard drive space, you empty out your Trash. To do this, control-click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Restart your Mac afterward so your Mac can begin to create new, fresh cache files.

shaunbowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Whangarei
do the manual version

How to Clear Cache Files on a Mac Manually
Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
Highlight everything and press Command-Backspace.
Restart your machine so that your apps and system can generate new, fresh caches.
Repeat the same steps but substitute ~/Library/Caches with /Library/Caches (note the lack of the “~” symbol, which, in technical-jargon, acts as a shortcut path to your home folder). Also note: We recommend that you remove the insides of these folders, but not the folders themselves.

Clear Caches on a Mac Library

Make sure that once you have finished clearing out these caches for additional hard drive space, you empty out your Trash. To do this, control-click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Restart your Mac afterward so your Mac can begin to create new, fresh cache files.

Thank you so much! I never done the /Library/Caches one so now that I did it's sussed thank you!

Also I can't delete the files from the trash? They say they can't be deleted :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.