Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Do you think this would be a good idea?

I have multiples of the same watch face, but in different colours, so I have a long list of faces for use with different straps.

If I could create folders, it would be easier to manage.

Good idea?

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I have just three watch faces I use regularly, and maybe a dozen total in my face gallery, so folders are definitely not a feature I want or need.

Of course if I did use as many watch faces as you, the gadget lover in me would want a much geekier solution than boring folders. Why not have Apple incorporate those cheap RFID chips (the ones they use in printer ink cartridges and K-cup pods) into their watch bands, so that the watch would know what band was currently installed and automatically sort the face gallery to show you the ones that color coordinate first? 🤣

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have just three watch faces I use regularly, and maybe a dozen total in my face gallery, so folders are definitely not a feature I want or need.

Of course if I did use as many watch faces as you, the gadget lover in me would want a much geekier solution than boring folders. Why not have Apple incorporate those cheap RFID chips (the ones they use in printer ink cartridges and K-cup pods) into their watch bands, so that the watch would know what band was currently installed and automatically sort the face gallery to show you the ones that color coordinate first? 🤣
as long as that does not require change in the band attach mechanism ;)

Seriously, I rarely ever change faces, so I have no need. As long as I get a toggle to turn folders on/off I'm game.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Of course if I did use as many watch faces as you, the gadget lover in me would want a much geekier solution than boring folders. Why not have Apple incorporate those cheap RFID chips (the ones they use in printer ink cartridges and K-cup pods) into their watch bands, so that the watch would know what band was currently installed and automatically sort the face gallery to show you the ones that color coordinate first?

Oooh! I like this.

But also not. Can see tons of complaints about having to re-pair their Watch with their phone before they could re-pair their bands. And why can't Find Me not also work with bands? ;)

My Watch face changes are automated so I've already rolled my own "folders" to correspond to band in use. Never scroll via Watch face to change the face, closest I get is via Watch app every blue moon. So meh for me.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You could do this yourself somewhat with some small NFC stickers and personal automations.

Stick an NFC tag to the inside of the bands (or in your band organizer for each band). Create personal automations to change the watch face for each tag/band. Now when you want to change the watch face, just tap the tag with your phone and it'll run the appropriate automation created for that tag. (You can also use AirTags for these sort of NFC triggered automations.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.