Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
I know Folding @ Home threads have been done to death, but I'm interested in hearing you guys out. I've been running FAH on my Mac Pro 4,1 during corona again. Now that I've upgraded the MP with an RX 580 I feel it's a bit of a waste that there's no GPU folding in Mac OS, and judging by the threads there won't be any support coming either.

I could, at least for the time being, boot into a separate OS to fold with both CPU and GPU.
Installing Win 10 would be an obvious solution, and not a bad one, but being a temporary solution I think a small Linux setup might do the trick. USB boot stick is an option but not a must, I can spare a SATA.

So what are your recommendations for Linux installations? Mainly I'd need a simple package that runs Folding with wifi drivers and fan control, I want to keep tabs on the new CPUs.

I am running OpenCore already to enable a boot picker + GPU hw acceleration in Mojave.

Thanks!

edit: nevermind, found the Linux distro discussion elsewhere

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.