Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
hey everyone,

i installed the universal binary of folding@home on my MacBook and mini running 10.6.

when i go into sys pref 32 bit, i click start folding and enter my admin password.

it then does not say it has started. but if i look in my activity monitor the processes are definitely there.

i am new to this, and was wondering if there was a better way to set it up. i want to contribute but i can't really find any information as to if i'm doing it right or not.

i have set it up on my PS3, and 2 windows computers (program runs in tray) and i just want to have every computer in my house participate.

am i doing something wrong? or is there a program that can do it better?

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Well if the FAHlog.txt says the progress is there I wouldn't worry too much. Alternatively you could try running the CLI version, its actually very simple,

1. Create a folder in your home folder, called "fah" (no quotes)

2. Download the CLI app for OS X and place the unzipped files into the folder

3. Open terminal.app and type "cd fah" (no quotes)

4. type ./fah6 -local -smp -verbosity 9

Voila. (Ps if for some odd reason this doesn't work, gives you a no such file error or something of that nature, just check the name of the file you placed in the fah folder. It may be called something else, just type ./whateverthenameis I think its fah6, but it may be just fah. . .)

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
The preference pane is not compatible with 10.6.

Most of us run the command line version, no pref pane, which is why you didn't hear it here.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
okay, that makes a lot of sense. however i have noticed prior to FAH that my cpu can go up to 200% (dual core).. however i only see the CPU usage in the 80-95% range in my activity monitor. is there something i can do to increase the output?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
okay, that makes a lot of sense. however i have noticed prior to FAH that my cpu can go up to 200% (dual core).. however i only see the CPU usage in the 80-95% range in my activity monitor. is there something i can do to increase the output?
run two instances. copy the first folder, delete WU related items, queue.dat, the whole work folder. leave the client.cfg file. edit the client.cfg file and change machineid=1 to machineid=2. if you leave both at 1 the second instance will not run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.